From: JK GREER <irismedia@MSN.COM>

Date: Sun, 07 Oct 2007 14:35:34
To:LM_NET@LISTSERV.SYR.EDU
Subject: [LM_NET] AR-- to be used as a tool

I wrote this article for Teacher-Library magazine several years ago.  I think it
fits with the discussion going on RESTRICTING reading and AR.

I am a believer in using AR as a TOOL. Not the sole source of reading instruction.
I used **** to highlight what I wrote 5 years ago that are part of this discussion.
I think it still holds true today.   I am at a middle school that currently uses AR
just as a comprehenion test of understanding the book.  The students can read at
any level, we just want them reading.

As with ANY reading program, there are good uses of it, and miss uses.  In
re-reading the article, I notice that I did not go into detail about the NON-AR
choices.  They needed to fill out a book report form or do a book project.
Remember, when Powell Valley started AR, we HAD to restrict AR books to only one
book, since we did not have enough books for students to have multiple books.  AND
we wanted the students to READ and check out books.

    A Positive Experience with Accelerated Reading by JaKay Greer
When we implemented Accelerated Reading (AR) at Powell Valley Elementary (Gresham,
Oregon), we started with staff that had training with AR (seven teachers grade 3-5
and myself).  I was involved since the library would be impacted by the decisions
made.  The following year, almost all second through fifth grade classes were using
AR.  Funding came from the Parent Teacher Committee, Gresham Barlow Grant
Foundation, and the school library budget.
Decisions were made that this would be a program to supplement the reading adoption
of the district.  AR would be used as a tool.  The teachers would be the experts
and would assess how best to implement it into their reading program.  Each grade
level team decided how to report a reading score on the report card.  It was also
decided that there would be NO rewards/trinkets or formal recognition of students
given for passing the tests or meeting goals.
Several of us spent part of a week during summer vacation marking the AR books with
the RL score on a color dot on the spines of books.  I had the color dots put 5” up
from the bottom of the book for uniform placement, and not interfere with the spine
labels already on the book.  We started putting in point stickers in the books, but
with the lack of staffing/time, it was decided to only put on the colored sticker
to identify the book as an AR book.   The program was started with just the books
that were already in circulation, with as many tests as we could afford.  Later,
additional AR books in different genres and reading levels were purchased.
Classroom teachers also marked their books by RL for ease of student selection.
The impact of AR on the library is that library circulation went up at least 25%,
and at times closer to 75%.  And this was with only allowing ONE AR book per
student when we first started because of the lack of books with tests. The only
initial problem we ran into was the lack of reading materials at the AR level
0-2.7, which was compounded when the second grades started using AR.  These reading
levels were then targeted in later purchases of books for the library.

******This supported the decision to not emphasize points in selecting a book.
The students generally liked the program and were eager to come to the library to
get new books.  Students talked about books that they were reading and were
recommending books to other students. The teachers saw immediate increases in grade
level reading ability, from a small increase in proficient readers to more than a
year’s growth in lower ability readers.  We were even able to purchase some of the
tests in Spanish.  Even IEP students were able to take tests that showed both
comprehension levels when read to and when they read alone.

*****Basically AR is: The student selects and reads a book, then takes a quiz on
the computer. The student and teacher get immediate individualized, constructive
feedback to direct ongoing reading practice.

******The biggest benefits that I have seen are:  students select books they are
interested in reading, time is devoted to reading, is a literature-based program,
and is teacher directed.
On LM-NET (Library Media Network listserv), these are some of the objections that
have come up in the discussions about the usage of AR:
1.      AR limits access to books.  Limit the number of AR books a student can
check out at a time.  Make part of the reading goals to read non-AR books.  This
puts the focus back on reading for enjoyment.
2.       You have to give prizes.  Not in my experience.  In fact, NOT giving
prizes helps with the goal to have students become lifelong readers.  The incentive
was to get them to read progressively harder or longer books, or nonfiction.
3.       Students can cheat on the tests.  Well, yes.  This also happens on tests
that aren’t AR.
4.       Reading level mistaken for interest/age level.  Your expertise is needed
to select books that are of interest to your readers, and, to match reader to the
book.  Just because a book is label 5.3 RL, does not make it a good match for the
student who reads at that level.
5.       Only books with AR tests will be purchased.  Although AR did dominate my
selections, it was not the deciding factor.  I was the professional that decided
which books would meet the curriculum and interests of my school.  Renaissance
Learning does a good job of creating tests for new books, and for requested books.
6.       Students must read in their ZPD zone.  If a student really shows interest
in a higher book, let them try it—we all know that interest is a huge motivator.
There are excellent books under the ZPD, so create goals to make allowance for
these books also in recreational reading.
In my opinion, AR is a wonderful tool when used by discerning educators who know
their students and their abilities; and use a range of tools to motivate their
students to read.

 JaKay Greer
TEacher-Librarian
Albany, OR
irismedia@msn.com
Climb to the top of the charts!  Play Star Shuffle:  the word scramble challenge
with star power.