Sorry to post to the entire list, but Mederise's e-mail address is
blocked.

Hi Mederise,

Here is a list of things in our library which sound as though they
relate to what your teacher is looking for.

Peoples of the world : their cultures, traditions, and ways of life.
Washington,DC: National Geographic  Society, [2001].

Jackson, Ellen B and Heyer, Carol. Here come the brides. New York:
Walker Publishing Co, [1998].
Note: Describes the customs and traditions connected with weddings all
over the world.

Menard, Valerie. The Latino holiday book: from Cinco de Mayo to Dia de
los Muertos--the celebrations and traditions of Hispanic-Americans. New
York: Marlowe & Co, [2000].
Note: Designed around the seasons, this book describes the traditional
holiday celebrations of Hispanic-Americans, as well as birthday,
wedding, and quinceanera traditions, explaining the days' religious and
social history, describing their customs, and providing recipes and
directions for crafts related to them.

Beeler, Selby N and Karas, G. Brian. Throw your tooth on the roof :
tooth  traditions around the world. Boston, MA: Hougthon Mifflin,
[1998].
Note: Consists of brief statements relating what children from around
the world do with a tooth that has fallen out.  Includes facts about
teeth.

Miller, Jay. American Indian festivals. New York: Children's Press,
[1996].
Note: Briefly describes some of the customs and practices related to
festivals celebrated in various North American Indian cultures.

Miller, Jay. American Indian games. New York: Children's Press, [1996].
Note: Briefly describes some of the toys and games used by various North
American Indian cultures to amuse their children and teach lessons about
life.

Miller, Jay. American Indian families. New York: Children's Press,
[1996].
Note: Introduces the different kinds of family relationships among
American Indians and how they varied from one tribe to another.

De Angeli, Marguerite. Henner's Lydia. Garden City, NY: Doubleday,
[1936].
Note: The story of Lydia, an Amish girl who lives on a farm near
Lancaster, PA, getting ready for her first trip to market.

Friedman, Ina R and Say, Allen. How my parents learned to eat. Boston:
Houghton Mifflin, [1984].
Note: An American sailor courts a Japanese girl and each tries, in
secret, to learn the other's way of eating.

Kroll, Virginia L and Roundtree, Katherine. A carp for Kimiko.
Watertown, Ma: Charlesbridge, [1993].
Note: Although the tradition is to present carp kites only to boys on
Children's Day, Kimiko's parents find a way to make the day special for
her.

Lin, Grace. The ugly vegetables. Watertown, MA: Talewinds/Charlesbridge,
[1999].
Note: A little girl thinks her mother's garden is the ugliest in the
neighborhood until she discovers that flowers might look and smell
pretty but Chinese vegetable soup smells best of all.  Includes a
recipe.

Milhous, Katherine. The egg tree : story and pictures. 1st Aladdin Books
ed. New York, NY: Aladdin Books, [1987, 1950].
Note: Katy's Easter morning discovery renews the tradition of the Easter
egg tree.

Rattigan, Jama Kim and Hsu-Flanders, Lilian. Dumpling soup. Boston:
Little, Brown & Co, [1993].
Note: A young Hawaiian girl tries to make dumplings for her family's New
Year's celebration.

Rothenberg, Joan. Matzah ball soup. New York: Hyperion Books for
Children, [1996].
Note: Rosie discovers why there are always four different kinds of
matzah balls in the Passover soup.

Say, Allen. The bicycle man. New York: Scholastic, [1982].
Note: A man relates a story from when he was a young boy in Japan and
how he and his schoolmates reacted to meeting their first Americans
soldiers.

Wesley, Valerie Wilson and Wilson, Sharon. Freedom's gifts : a
Juneteenth story. 1st ed. New York: Simon & Schuster Books for Young
Readers, [1997].
Note: When a girl from New York visits her cousin in Texas, she learns
the origin of Juneteenth, a holiday marking the day Texan slaves
realized they were free.

Woodson, Jacqueline and Talbott, Hudson. Show way. New York: Putnam's,
[2005].
Note: A mother passes on the tradition of making quilts, or "Show ways",
that serve as secret maps for freedom seeking slaves.

Soto, Gary and Velasquez, Eric. The skirt. New York: Yearling Books,
[1994].
Note: Miata is always losing things, but this time she's lost her
mother's "folklorico" skirt and Miata has to dance folklorico on Sunday.

Levinson, Riki and Goode, Diane. I go with my family to Grandma's. New
York: Trumpet Club, [1990].
Note: Each of five cousins tells how they, and their families, go to
visit their grandmother in 1915.