This HIT is in answer to my request for what Halloween tales everyone was
telling at this season. We got a LOT of responses.
Halloween stories:

Skeleton in the Closet (Alice Schertle) (K)
Tell Me a Scary Story, But Not Too Scary (K)
Granny Greenteeth and the Noise in the Night (Compton) (K)
The Perfect Pumpkin Pie (K)
A Dark, Dark Tale (Ruth Brown) (K-1)
Skeleton Hiccups (Margery Cuyler) (K-1)
Gus was a Friendly Ghost (Thayer) (K-1)
Cinderella Skeleton (San Souci) (K-1)
Cranberry Halloween (Devlin) (K-1)
Big Pumpkin (Erica Silverman) (K-1)
The House the Drac Built (K-1)
The Runaway Pumpkin (K-1)
Go Away, Big Green Monster (Emberly) (K-1)
Pumpkin Eye (Denise Fleming) (K-2)
Teeny Tiny Woman (K-1)
Monster Mischief (Pamela Jane) (K-1)
The Little Green Witch (K-1)
Halloween Countdown (K-1)
Piggie Pie (Palatini) (K-2)
Beasty Story (1)
No Such Thing (Jackie French Koller) (1)
Psst, it’s me, the Bogeyman (Barbara Park) (2)
Creepy Countdown (K-2)
Halloween House (Erica Silverman) (K-2)
Little Old Lady Who Was Not Afraid of Anything (K-2)
Hank the Clanker (K-2)
Humbug Witch (Lorna Balian) (1)
Pruella and the Boo Hag (1)
Halloweiner (Dav Pilkey) (1-3)
The Witch’s Hat (1-3)
The Ugly Pumpkin (1-3)
Bunnicula’s Halloween (1-2)
Arthur’s Halloween (video) (2)
Octavius Bloom and the House of Doom (2-3)
Tailypo (mature 2 and 3)
Ghost with the Halloween Hiccups (Mosser) (2-3)
Kate Culhane: A Ghost Story (2-3)
Monster Goose (Judy Sierra) (2-3)
Biggest Pumpkin Ever (Kroll) (2-3)
One Halloween Night (Mark Teague) (2-4)
Baba Yaga and Vasilisa the Brave (Margaret Mayer) (3)
Amelia Bedelia, Happy Haunting (3)
Scary Poems for Rotten Kids (Sean O’Hugin) (3)
Best/Worst Halloween Ever (Barbara Park) (3-4)
Widow’s Broom (Chris Van Allsburg) (3-5)
Duffy’s Jacket (Bruce Coville’s Book of Monsters)(3-5)
Surprise Guest (Beware: R.L. Stine picks his favorite…) (3-5)
Spider and the Fly (DiTerlizzi) (4)
Orange You Glad It’s Halloween, Amber Brown (Danziger) (4)
The Seventh Boy (Bruchac) (4)
Cold Feet (Cynthia De Felice) (4-5)
Monster’s Ring (Bruce Coville) (4-5)
Hogula (4-5)
Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark (David Schwartz) (4th and up)
Old Rawhead (4-6)
Skeleton Man (Bruchac) (4-6)
Coraline (Gaiman) (4-6)
Cinderhazel (Lattimore) (4-6)
Wicked Jack (5)
13 Alabama Ghosts and Jefferey (Kathryn Tucker Wyndham) (5-6)
Telltale Heart (Poe) (5-6)
All Hallow’s Eve (Yolen) (6-8)

Additional resources:
http://www.americanfolklore.net/spooky-stories.html
Favorite Scary Stories of American Children (Dockrey Young)
The Scary Story Reader (August House)
All the Short and Shivery books (San Souci)

Gayle Hodur
District Librarian
Soledad Unified School District
Soledad, CA  93960