Free Rice is a vocabulary site, where for every word you define correctly ten
grains of rice are donated to an international aid organization.  The rice is
distributed through the United Nations World Food Program.  As you work through the
words, the words will either increase or decrease in difficulty as you progress.
Your "vocab level" is shown along the box as you progress.  So far, I can get to
level 44 and on occasion to level 45, but I am not able to stay there for too long.

From the website:
"FreeRice has a custom database containing thousands of words at varying degrees of
difficulty. There are words appropriate for people just learning English and words
that will challenge the most scholarly professors. In between are thousands of
words for students, business people, homemakers, doctors, truck drivers, retired
people... everyone!
FreeRice automatically adjusts to your level of vocabulary. It starts by giving you
words at different levels of difficulty and then, based on how you do, assigns you
an approximate starting level. You then determine a more exact level for yourself
as you play. When you get a word wrong, you go to an easier level. When you get
three words in a row right, you go to a harder level. This one-to-three ratio is
best for keeping you at the "outer fringe" of your vocabulary, where learning can
take place.
There are 50 levels in all, but it is rare for people to get above level 48.
The program keeps track of how many people get each word right or wrong, and then
adjusts each word's difficulty level accordingly. So the words at the easiest
levels are the ones that people most often get right. The words at the hardest
levels are the ones that people most often get wrong. As more and more people have
played the game, these levels have become increasingly more accurate."
The site has only been up since October 7th, but word is spreading.  On October
10th they had had 287,960 grains of rice donated, on October 17th 12,157,010 grains
and on October 29th 48,720,340 grains.  My teachers like it and so do my students.
The only complaint I've had is a better explanation of the level, i.e. what grade
equals what level.  I will warn you that it is highly addictive- but a nice way to
give rather painlessly to charity.

 http://www.freerice.com/index.php

Linda De Vore
Media Center Director
Casa Grande Middle School
Casa Grande, AZ 85222
linda.devore@cgelem.k12.az.us

"Books are the quietest and most constant of friends; they are the most accessible
and wisest of counselors, and the most patient of teachers." -  Charles W. Eliot