This summer I attended two out of state conferences.  Both of these
conferences I had wanted to go to for five to ten years.  Travel from
Alaska is expensive so going to two made me feel better about the travel
money being spent.

The first conference was Book Expo.  It was in New York City.  I met a
lot of authors and got a different point of view on books than I
normally get at the library conferences that I go to.  I also mailed
home about 350 pounds of books that have made me one of the more popular
people in the District Office.  The biggest payoff for this conference
was the book that I loaned to a Junior in school last Friday.  On
Saturday as I was walking to the store, she passed me in a car.  She
yelled out the window about how much she was enjoying the book.  I don't
know about your reasons to go into a school library, but matching
students up with books they would love is one of my main focuses.  Next
year is Los Angeles
<http://www.bookexpoamerica.com/App/homepage.cfm?moduleid=42&appname=288>

The second conference was NECC.  Wow, it was amazing to see how people
are using the different technologies out there.  One of the best parts
of this conference was the small group sessions.  Teachers would show
what they were doing with students in their schools.  In some cases the
students were there putting on the show.  I walked away from this
conference knowing that we as teachers of the American youth are doing a
great job preparing them for tomorrow.  Next year is San Antonio
<http://web.uoregon.edu/ISTE/NECC2007/program/NECC2008.php>.

Darla Grediagin
District Librarian
Bering Strait School District