I have been asked by our head of Guidance to supervise a study hall every other day
for 3 students who apparently have some sort of unusual scheduling situation.  Our
school has no study hall periods, since students are in class all day except for an
"'advisment" period in the morning.  I have helped out in these unusual situations
in the past.  There has never been more than 2 students and usually it is just one.
 Easy to accommodate.  Now that the request is for 3 students during the same
period,  I do have some concerns.  And frankly - these 3 students are discipline
problems.  I will be chasing after them constantly.

I was feeling a bit petty and telling myself to "suck it up" - but our Union rep
overheard me talking about the situation and she brought up some excellent points.
The first thing she said was "You don't have time for that.  You have enough to
do."  She then pointed out to me that there are many part time teachers who would
really like the bump-up in pay and FTE they would get for adding a supervision
duty.  I had never considered that viewpoint - but it certainly is valid.

Anyway - the guidance counselor who asked me to do this has been alerted by the
union and is asking for a statement in writing about the disadvantages of having
study halls in the library.  She plans to then discuss the issue with our principal
and figure out where to go from there.

I went to the archives - but was unable to find much about similar situations.  I'm
sure I can write a statement on my own - but the wisdom of this particular crowd is
awesome - and I would love to tap the collective brain.  I will post a hit.

Thanks as always!

Jacquie

"The Librarian, whose job is to heal ignorance, to keep life safe for poetry and to
put knowledge smack dab in the middle of the American way."

From The Philadelphia Inquirer, 9-20-03
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Jacquie Henry, MLS
Ruben A. Cirillo High School (GHS)