This week I have been working on my collection, shifting some things around
due to new shelving. Once again the beginning of the 800s mystified me. My
800s begin with 808.008 but I also have 808.009, then 808.08 and 808.09. I
decided that this time I should figure this out and maybe make changes so as
to make shelving easier. One thing I will do is weed some of that out, but
much of it does have to stay.

I looked in my abridged Dewey (don't remember number not the MOST recent but
recent. And I DID have a cataloging course in college. But I am still
mystified. Best I can figure out is that these numbers have something to do
with literary collections of more than one type and perhaps are historical.
I read the section three times.

Is there someone really into Dewey subdivisions who could clear this up for
me in plain English? Then I will look at the section more closely, weed and
perhaps reclassify.

While I am at this, another question not Dewey but Marc. Why are some items
done with call number in 082 while others come in 092, and some in 090?

Deborah Stafford
Gen. H.H. Arnold High School
Wiesbaden, Germany
deborah.stafford@t-online.de