From: Floyd <calaf@CHARTER.NET>
To: LM_NET@LISTSERV.SYR.EDU
Sent: Friday, September 28, 2007 1:14:08 PM
Subject: Circulating CDs vs. MP3

Students in my selection class are having a very spirited discussion
about whether the LMC collection should include music CDs or not.

I am very firmly of the opinion that the media center educates in broad
strokes by having a variety of materials available, but one aspect of
this I hadn't thought about was the fact that having CDs available
might not be a format that iPod students could even use any longer.

So, how are LMCs "checking out" music on an MP3 format these days?

I reject the argument that we don't need to have music available
because student can download it directly. Most students would not
download Stravinsky's "Rite of Spring" for example, but a student might
check it out if they ran across it in the media center.

How does one keep this selection area current today?

Floyd Pentlin
Oh well . . . . I'd just been thinking... if you had died, you'd have
been welcome to share my toilet. ~ Moaning Myrtle, "Harry Potter and
the Chamber of Secrets"
ANSWER MACHINE/FAX: 660.747.0683 - E-MAIL: calaf@charter.net

photos & more.
http://mobile.yahoo.com/go?refer=1GNXIC