Richie's Picks: THE BLACK BOOK OF SECRETS by  F.E. Higgins, Feiwel and
Friends, October 2007, ISBN: 0-312-36844-5

"When I opened my eyes I knew that nothing in my miserable  life prior to
that moment could possibly be as bad as what was about to  happen.  I was lying
on the cold earthen floor of a basement room lit by a  single candle, no more
than an hour's burning left.  Instruments of a  medical nature hung from hooks
in the beams.  Dark stains on the floor  suggested blood.  But it was the
chair against the opposite wall that fully  confirmed my suspicions.  Thick
leather straps attached to the arms and the  legs were there for one purpose only:
to hold down an unwilling patient.   Ma and Pa were standing over me.
" 'E's awake,' crowed Ma excitedly.
"Pa dragged me to my feet.  He had me in an iron grip, my  arm wrenched up
behind my back.  Ma held me by the hair.  I looked  from one to the other.
Their grinning faces were only inches away from  mine.  I knew I should not look
to them to save me.
"Another man, concealed until now in the shadows, stepped  forward and took
me by the chin.  He forced open my mouth and ran a  blackened, foul-tasting
finger around my gums.
" 'How much?' asked Pa, drooling with  anticipation.
" 'Not bad,' said the man.  'Thrupence apiece.   Maybe twelve in all.'
" 'It's a deal,' said Pa.  'Who needs teeth  anyway?'
" 'Someone, I hope,' replied the man dryly.  'I sell 'em  for a living.'
"And they laughed, all three, Ma and Pa and Barton Gumbroot,  the notorious
tooth surgeon of Old Goat's Alley.
"Once the money for my teeth was agreed with Barton, they  moved quickly.
Together they dragged me over to the surgeon's chair.   I kicked and shouted and
spat and bit; I wasn't going to make it easy for  them.  I knew how Barton
Gumbroot made his living, preying on the poor,  pulling their teeth, paying them
pennies and selling them for ten times as  much.  I was racked with fear.  I
had no protection.  I was going  to feel it all.  Every nerve-stabbing twinge."

Oh man!  I shiver as I read that opening scene and  realize how, four decades
later, I am still so traumatized by my own  childhood experiences in the
world of dentistry.

In contrast to the struggling Ludlow Fitch -- who is  about to escape that
basement room with most (but not all) of his teeth still  intact -- I was more
like the lamb being led to slaughter.  Every six  months I would obediently
enter the little shop of horrors that constituted  the office of my childhood
dentist, Dr. Arthur Roberts, where he would  constantly discover new places to
drill into my teeth.  I would sit there  and quietly endure the agony of every
nerve-stabbing twinge.

It was not until I was in middle school,  when my mother found a new dentist
closer to where we then lived, that  I learned that other dentists first
administered Novocain to  eliminate the pain of the drilling.  I am still unclear
whether Dr.  Robert's lack of pain management was a strategy to get me to do a
better job of brushing my teeth, was a byproduct of my parent's  dental plan,
or whether Dr. Roberts really was a nineteenth  century kind of dentist and I
was just too young to be  administered the proverbial shot of whiskey -- like
in a cowboy movie --  before his getting down to business.

In any case, young Ludlow Fitch escapes his parents, the  despicable tooth
surgeon, and the City by clinging precariously to the back  of a departing
carriage "like an organ-grinder's monkey," and ends up in  the mountain village of
Pagus Parvus, where he is taken in by Joe  Zabbidou, a mysterious character
who has arrived in the village at the very same  moment.  During the day, Joe
runs a pawnshop he's established where he pays  handsomely for worthless junk.
And, after midnight, Joe is a  pawnbroker of secrets, paying handsomely for
those secrets that the villagers  want to get off their chests in order to
attain some peace of mind.  Ludlow  becomes his scribe, carefully getting every
word written into the Black Book of  Secrets.

Ludlow, who over the course of his entire  childhood in the City was forced
by his parents to be a thief, cannot fathom  what Joe's angle is:

" 'What exactly are you doing, Joe?  Who are you?   Why did you come here?'
"He leaned back on the counter and stretched his long  legs out in front of
him.  'I am just an old man, Ludlow, trying to help  those in need.'
" 'But the book, the money.  You give all the  time.  What do you get back?'
" 'It doesn't have to be about  taking.  Don't you think it's enough to give?
 Why should I expect  anything in return?'
"I was beginning to understand, but it was not  easy.  I suppose I was still
a thief at heart.  My whole life in the  City had been about taking for myself
and taking care of myself."

THE BLACK BOOK OF SECRETS offers readers an intriguing view of  the human
psyche  as the equilibrium of this isolated village,  located in the distant
past, is set off-kilter by the arrival of Joe  and Ludlow:

" 'Why must it be human nature to hear one thing but believe  it is another?'
" 'Because we want things to get better,' I said.   'Otherwise we would all
give up.'
"Joe closed his eyes. 'Dum spiro,  spiro,' he said.  'While I breath, I
hope.' "

It is an exceptionally well-crafted and mysterious  tale.

Now, the question is: what is YOUR darkest  secret?

Richie  Partington, MLIS
Richie's Picks http://richiespicks.com
BudNotBuddy@aol.com
http://www.myspace.com/richiespicks