We hope teachers will advocate for us. In this situation, the ill-prepared
teacher is a squeaky wheel who talks in the teacher's lounge and has the ear
of the principal. A valuable advocate in the making! Why not tell her that
you'd love to help her, especially when you can see she's in a time crunch,
but the short turn around time will only let you do X (define what part you
can/want to do). If she could give you more time, or send you some students,
you could do even more to help.

I try to avoid saying a flat no (except for sitting in the dunking booth at
the carnival) and offer some service rather than none. People appreciate
effort rather than a lecture. Reward those who give you more time with more
service, but try to help all. As I told my aide, we do what we do because of
who WE are, not because of who THEY are. And haven't we all been in a time
crunch when we really needed help? Do you remember feeling grateful or
resentful depending on the reaction of the person you needed?

Choosing to serve doesn't make you a doormat. It makes you invaluable!

Pat Miller, LMS

Creech Elementary

Katy, TX