Way back when - I worked at an academic library and we had a large section behind
the circulation counter devoted to Closed Reserve items for the various professors.
 I would regularly get requests from some professors to pull books to put there for
their students to use - sometimes I had a great list that a professor had come in
and researched and compiled - other times I would get the "whatever we have on ..."
 To the first group I would say a heartfelt thank you and to the second I would
reply ( with a smile) :" I am not sure exactly what you want  for your class.  I
would not presume to limit your lessons to what I think you should cover. Please
come in and we will find what you need for your students."

I found that when I said " I would not  presume to limit your lesson" or words to
that effect, it diffused the tension and put the responsibility back on the teacher
to be more specific in what they were doing.

Toni Koontz
Librarian
St. Charles Preparatory School
Columbus, Ohio