I used the READ CDs at my school last year with great results.  In
one volume the directions are in a file on the CD.  You need to print
those first.

Photoshop Elements was a little daunting to learn and eventually,
instead of doing all the laborious "masking" (& dropping out the
backgrounds), I simply used familiar school backgrounds and "brought
them forward."  A building tech person suggested that I save each
poster as a jpg, which lowered the memory requirements.  I put them
on a memory stick & printed them (11 x 14)  at less than $2 each at
Fedex Kinkos.  Later I put the jpgs on a CD disk & left it with the
school.  I was delighted to see this fall that the school's new
webmaster uses these pictures on the school webpage, rotating them.
The counseling dept put these posters on cupboard doors in their
office area.  We also took pictures of the student leaders with their
favorite books that were posted in the AC.  Even the "Special Ed" aka
Directed Studies students had pictures taken with their teachers.

I was so happy to see the READ CDs article in American Libraries.
It's a tremendous PR tool.

Sue Weiss
semi-retired
Edmonds, WA