One of my favorite end of third grade lessons is to read The Legend of the Persian
Carpet, have students guess what's real and what's made-up, then divide into groups
and assign reference materials/keywords from our lists for them to use in
determining the truth.

See the lesson plan below.

Objectives - Students will learn about folktales(classified in 398.2) and use
reference books.

Procedures  - Warm-up:  Brainstorm a list of kinds of reference books.  (I skipped
the folktale/398.2 part today and was pleased to have more time with the research
portion in our 35 minute lesson.)  Direct students' attention to the 398.2s in the
nonfiction side of the library. Show them the cover of the Legend of the Persian
carpet.  Tell students they will hear the story of - "my favorite book from the
398.2s."  Play the jingle from Hi Ho Librario CD - then make a big deal of the fact
that we're talking about STORIES with NUMBERS in the call number.  Explain that the
300s include social sciences and the role of folktales within social studies.  Read
the story that takes place in another land and with a certain group of people,
emphasizing that we can learn something about the people who live there by reading
this folktale.  After reading, show "King Balash's diamond" (crystal from home)
making millions of rainbows in the room with sunlight or a flashlight if necessary.
 Reiterate that the name of the story is the LEGEND of the Persian Carpet.  Use the
dictionary to read the definition of a legend.  Make two lists: What we think is
true, what we think is made up. Send small groups to encyclopedias, dictionaries,
atlases and almanacs to find out what we call the land of Persia today.
Alternately:  Make two lists on the white board of details from the story that we
think might be true and things we think were made up.  Attempt to prove/disprove
using reference books, assigning small groups certain books and keywords to use.