Steve,

Sorry, but this is a leap of logic that I can't follow.  How did we get
from a <public> librarian being <supposedly> fired for reporting a patron
viewing child pornography to the police to teachers having relations with
their students?  That boggles my mind.  The two things have nothing to do
with one another whatsoever unless Donny Chrisler (the offending patron in
the story) is a teacher.  I see no report that he is.

This case makes me leary for several reasons.  First of all, we're all
jumping on this bandwagon before all of the information is out.  Even with
"satisfactory" performance reviews, this librarian might have had
job-related issues for years.  We just don't know.

We also don't know exactly what happened on the day in question.  Sure, it
seems like a cut-and-dried case of polical correctness run amok, but the
facts might be different.  Maybe library policy is to let the offender go
to avoid a potentially violent confrontation and then to collect computer
records and go to the police later.  Maybe Biesterfeld was told this by her
supervisor but decided to call the police anyway.  That would be
insubordination as well as a violation of library policy.  Those could be
firing offenses.  We just don't know all the facts.

Finally, this smacks of an election-year political football.  I'm hoping
that "child pornography in the libraries" doesn't become this election
year's "gay marriage".

Steven Nabinger, Teacher-Librarian
C. S. Driver Middle School
Marcellus Central Schools