I have been asked by many to repost a hit.  I tried to  post all the
suggestions. Thanks to everyone who responded...I will post more as  they come

Several years ago I had an  afterschool book club.  Actually, at first I
read to  them and we discussed the book as it was read.  Later they  read
books on their own and reported to the group.   With another group at a
different time, I did not have a  book club exactly, but anyone who
wanted to read a book,  dress in character or make a poster, etc. could
come to  the library after school and I "videoed" them.  They could  have
a copy to take home if they brought a tape, and the  teachers could check
them out to show in the room.   Also, I had a book club but kids could
choose to read a  hardback from the library or find an online book to
read;  I supplemented the online with software with books being read  (or
having kids read themselves) and there were separate  activities to do
with the book.  In addition to all  of this,  I have had puppet clubs.
The students  would read plays, make puppets and perform them.  Sometimes
I had them write their own version of the play, make the puppets,  and
have the play performed.  I have a really great  puppet stage made out of
pipe which my husband  constructed, and one of my teachers sewed the
curtains  around three sides.  In all of this, the kids got to pick  what
they wanted to read.
I have a boys and a girls third grade book club each year that meets  on
different days. I let the teachers select about 10 students who are mix of
excellent readers, struggling readers and average but need a little boost. The I
choose either 6 or 7 from their list. We meet every week for an hour during
lunch. I  purchase paperbacks from the bookstore and let them vote on their
favorite. The books range from "hot off the press",a biography, aNewbery and so
on. We read the book together and then read a chapter or 2 at home. Sometimes
they cannot stand to wait and finish the book at home!. We discuss what has
happened each week. When we finish the book we celebrate with pizza for lunch
or  a desert that is the theme of the book. I really get to know the students
and we  have so much fun, especially with the boys! Hope that helps!

1.  As an after-school extra-curricular activity.  I choose a  book and send
home a letter to all 3rd-5th graders describing the club  & include a
permission slip to be returned.  (I work in K-5  schools, and to me the activity
seems
like to much for anyone under 3rd  grade.)  The groups were between 6 and 10
students.  I charged $20 per  kid for 4 or 5 weeks of staying after school for
an hour once a week.  The  charge included a paperback copy of the book to
keep, plus snacks and materials  for activities.  Each week the kids had to read
an assigned portion of the  book, then we discussed it & did some related
activity, such as a craft or  computer game.  Just make sure parents know they
must pick up their kid on  time or they won't be allowed to participate.  I've
had varying degrees of  success;  sometimes it would fill up right away, other
times I had to  cancel due to lack of interest.

2.   During school.  This past year I had the luxury of one afternoon a week
that was not scheduled for classes, so I did a book club for 3rd-5th grades,
a  different one each of 4 marking periods.  I asked the teachers to nominate
their top readers to participate, as the principal wanted it to be an
"enrichment" opportunity for advanced students.  We met in grade level  groups of 6
students for 40 minutes.  I tried following the "literature  circles" model
(Google it), in which the students take the lead in deciding  which book to read
and what to discuss about it.  We also did a related  project, which the kids
also chose.  Unlike the after-school version, we  just did one big project
that we worked on a little each week, instead of a  different activity every
time.  Although I never really got comfortable  with the kid-directed format (I
prefer being in charge & knowing what to  plan and expect), the students all
loved it.

I had a "City of Ember" book club this past year.  It started  when
the waiting list for the book got impossibly  long.  It was very loose
as far as  requirements and selecting kids.  I accepted as many as I
could get books for. We met during their lunch.   They read at their
own pace (Most finished before  the second meeting) then we spent
almost three  months writing and filming a 'movie.'  The girls wrote
it by themselves with just a few suggestions from  me.

Many of our meeting got off track as the girls  talked about other
things going on in their  lives.  (6th graders)  I enjoyed it very
much and I think it was good for them in many ways.  These were  girls
who were not friends, in different cliques,  who only got together in
book club.  When  they wanted to start meeting more often, I suggested
that they sit together at lunch and learned that that would not be
possible because of the social pecking order.  They  were very frank
and matter of fact about it.   I like to think that book club opened
doors for  them to be friendly when they go to middle school next year
and the pecking order is turned upside down.  At  the very least, they
learned how to come together  and work cooperatively and respect each
other at  least part of the time.

Sorry, I rambled.  I  hope this helps.  My goal was for book club to
be fun.  If they learned something, so much the  better.

I just read your message on the TLC list.....  I am also  wanting/planning to
start of book club for students this coming school  year!  I would really
appreciate seeing any helpful messages that you  receive.  I have a few plans,
but I am FAR from having it figured  out.

The timing of it had  to fit into my school's very busy calendar, so we
finalized that last May.   We will meet after school on Friday afternoons from
dismissal at 3:00 until  4:00, and it will be just about every other Friday.  We
are a 1-5  school, fairly high socio-economic but also some Title kids.  On the
most  part, the kids at my school are readers.

These are some of my concerns  - maybe  you have the same concerns, or
suggestions!
*  If  the entire bookclub reads the same title, do you expect everyone to go
out and  buy their own?  What about kids who really can't afford - do you
have just  a few copies available for them, but is that fair?
*  What about snacks, should snacks be offered??  Are you  comfortable using
your Book Fair profits to pay for snacks or  books?
*  Would it work to have several choices for  students so that they are not
limited to just the "chosen" book - for example,  select titles with about 3 or
4 on hand in the library, offer about 10 stacks of  these multiple books, and
sort of create mini-reads within the big group?   Then possibly have the kids
presents something to the big group, and perhaps  enticing others with the
title that they read (!)
*   Should the titles used be only new hot-off-the-press books to keep it
cutting  edge, or books from the regular collection?  If I go with brand new
books,  then that would require the kids to buy their own book, but it would also
keep  it exciting and new.

I just  talked with another librarian in my area and she has been at her
school for 22  years.  She has done many different things for book clubs over the
years.  Timing is always an issue - she has done lunch book clubs (very
limited time) and seems to like after school the best.  She is doing an  on-going
Harry Potter, once a month, continues from year to year.  She  feels strongly
that the kids need to TALK and laugh and share thoughts about the  book, so
she keeps it to one title.  She does not do any kind of snack,  never has.  She
is going to add a Warriors club for this coming next year -  cool!!!

Sorry this is so  long but I am delighted to know someone else who is just
starting a book  club.  Any more info that you can pass along would be  great.

Thanks for sending out this post. I have been brainstorming the same for  my
elementary school too. Right now my focus has been the Bluebonnet Books and
it has been popular, but I have a limited number of them and not all students
have such easy access to them because they are continually checked out. So, I
thought that I could reach even more students if I created a themed type of
"book club" (ie. mystery, American Girls, scary stories, etc.). If you get any
 ideas coming your way, do you mind sharing? I have teamed up with one of my
4th  grade reading teachers and she is behind it all the way. I was thinking
of  meeting once every other week before school starts (7:30 to 8:00) in the
library  and letting them share with each other the books they have read through
short  book talks. I'd like to make it special with something to honor them
such as  displaying their names in the school and giving them special items
such as a  unique book mark, certificates, etc. Anyway, if you get any ideas sent
to you,  do you mind either posting or forwarding them? Thanks so much and
best of luck  with it!
have run a book club at my elementary school over the last 3  years.  I open
it to any student in the 5th grade.  I usually start in  the fall with about
12 students.  By the end of the year I'm down to 3 - 5.  We meet once a week
for about 30  to 45 minutes.  I find that many of  the students don't read the
book, but some do.  My first year I had them  read during the week and we
discussed what they read when we met.  I found  it difficult to get a discussion
going.  This past year I had the students  read during our meeting time and
saved the last 10 or 15 minutes for  discussion.  I also got the book on CD and we
listened...they really liked  that the best.  The group I had this year only
wanted to read a few pages a  week, so it was difficult to discuss the book.
I find the end of the year  when I have a smaller group to be the best,
because they really are interested  in reading and discussing the book.  I
sometimes
provide snacks, and wonder  if they are coming for the snacks or to discuss
books. I select the books we are  going to read, but let them pick from the
list of books I have selected

The books I have done are:
Bud, Not Buddy by Christopher Paul Curtis (they really enjoy this  book)
A Long Way From Chicago and A Year Down Yonder, by  Richard Peck
The Whipping Boy by Sid  Fleischman
Nowhere to Call Home by Cynthia  DeFelice
Last year I started having "Lunch with the Librarian" on Wednesdays with
students that filled out plot structures on last year's Bluebonnet list. It
helped me promote the reading list and I was able to help the students (and
ultimately the teachers) with how to do plot structure.

We use a form that has the following requirements: (I think this is  all)
title
genre /  why?
main characterss
setting
problem
solution
ending

The  students turn in the form to me and I send them an invitation to lunch.
During  the lunch, we talk about the book, eat our lunches, revise their plot
structures, and then just talk so I can get to know them better. It was
fantastic!

This year I bought about 10 copies of the  Bluebonnet books so I can actually
have book clubs. I still intend to use the  "Lunch" time I have set up but I
may have to change to T/Th because I still need  to host individual readers.

This year our district is  going to try and have a Battle of the Books and
the 2X2 and Bluebonnets will  make up most of the required reading. So my
luncheons should get lively because  I am also going to have the students think up
possible questions that could be  asked at the competition.

******************
On the recommendation of another librarian, I am reading The Kid's Book Club
Book by Judy Gelman and Vicki  Levy Krupp.  I bought it for under $6
(including s&h) through an online  vendor
**************************************
I introduced the authors of The Kids Book Club Book at the Texas  Book
Festival last year. They have great ideas in their book and on  their websites that
answer many book club questions. Although the book is not  intended for school
library audiences, you will be able to use and adapt  the ideas and
strategies. Just search for it on  Amazon....

The Kids' Book Club Book: Reading  Ideas, Recipes, Activities, and Smart Tips
for Organizing Terrific Kids' Book  Clubs (Paperback)

by _Judy Gelman_
(http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/search-handle-url?_encoding=UTF8&search-type=ss&index=books&field-author=Judy%20Gelman)
    (Author),
_Vicki Levy Krupp_
(http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/search-handle-url?_encoding=UTF8&search-type=ss&index=books&field-author=Vicki%20Levy%20Krupp)

(Author) "If you picked  up this book, chances are you love to read..." (_ more_
(http://www.amazon.com/gp/reader/1585425591/ref=sib_fs_top?ie=UTF8&p=S00N&checkSum
=BaVp6YLsmK7i5LtG0f1u8Hlrj9zFCAtxI1bL8pV0Ngk=#reader-link)   )
***************
Please post or email your responses as I am interested in starting a book
club at my elem.  I was thinking about using our  state book award nominees
just to get the kids more  interested in reading them.
I'm thinking of doing the same thing--"Library Lunch" once a week or  so.

If you think of anything--PLEASE share! Right now  I am trying to get a
few audiobooks to share and  discuss. I had also thought of using some
of the  craft ideas from "Daring Book for Girls" to begin with and then
move into the book discussion mode.

****************************
Please post a hit of ideas and suggestions.  I to am wanting to  start a book
club for my 4th and 5th graders.  This is what I have planned  this far.
We will meet once a week before school for 30  minutes.
In order to promote the Bluebonnet books  I was going to use some of those.
But would love  more ideas and organizational tools.
********************
I was thinking the same thing! Something like a "lunch bunch" and  when I
mentioned it to my principal hewanted to target the "at risk" kids who  need the
extra incentive to read. Honestly, I was thinking in the other  direction,
more enrichment...
*************************************
Our science teacher was actually the coordinator for our book club and  she
chose a book based on the Jason project theme for the school  year.  For
example, last year the focus was weather (I think it may have  tied in with global
warming) and she picked a book that was weather related--a  novel about the
Galveston hurricane of 1900.  She opened it to kids in  grades 4-6 who were
involved with the Jason project as part of their science  curriculum.  They had a
books and breakfast after everyone had read the  book. I  believe they just had
a social time and discussed the book before  school while they ate breakfast.
 Everyone brought something.  I think  it would be fun to have everyone bring
something that related to the book in  some way--blue "ocean water " type
juice drink, or something fun like that.

I'm doing one this summer  with any kids that want to with The City of Ember
since that movie will be  coming out this fall.
*****
have book clubs at my library for different grade levels.  Here's a link to
the information on my web page:

_http://www.coldspringschool.net/Classrooms/jpedersen/Mrs.-Pedersen/Library-Bo
ok-Clubs.html_
(http://www.coldspringschool.net/Classrooms/jpedersen/Mrs.-Pedersen/Library-Book-Clubs.html)

****************
I just finished my library degree but am not leaving the classroom just  yet.
However, I had an after school book club for three years at my school
library. It was a great success. The key is to find a book that is high  interest.
had one on Spiderwick, another on Unfortunate Events and another on  Harry
Potter. Also, having a series books works great because the kids are very
motivated to read the next book. I tried one last year during lunch but it was  not
as successful, as the time as too limited.  I got approval from my
principal. We bought the books with a grant from YMCA, and we sent out flyers. I
gave
a deadline for sign up and a limit on the number of students. Oh, and  parent
permisssion also for pick up for transportation.  Then I looked at  the
student's applications and made decisions. Generally, after you start and  set up
rules, those who are serious will stay and any that might just be playing
around will drop off, leaving room for those other serious ones who wanted to  get
in in the first place.
I can't be of any help with "how tos ", but would suggest books  from
your current state award list for book choices.

Year before last I had a 2nd-3rd grade book club.  This presented a  wide
variety of reading levels.  I learned to consider one grade level  for the future
because it caused me to select different books for each  grade (not really
easy to share books at that point). Also, a tracking  system for books is
imperative.  Some books were not  returned!

Read reviews on AOL Autos.