Thank you all so much for your help. LM_NETers are amazing!! The 2nd
interview today went very well, but I won't know the final decision for another
few
days. I really appreciate the amazing advice I received to my earlier  request
for ideas on how to formulate a 9th grade orientation. Several people
requested a HIT, so below is some of the amazing information I received. Le
agradezco mucho! (I appreciate it very much!)

Alma

If none of the  students have ever checked any books out in the past four
years, it sounds like  they need to find out what's there. Since the kids don't
know you, you can do  several things. One would be to find out what they are
interested in (that will  help you with ordering, and get them thinking that
maybe you will be someone  they will actually want to know). Another would be to
give them a brief "tour"  of the library. If it is small enough that they can
sit at the tables and you  walk around, you can point out what's where. If the
room is too large for that  you will have to take them around, which is
likely to make it harder for you to  actually teach them anything. You can do a bit
of a lesson on databases, both  electronic and print, as you mentioned.

I generally keep those beginning  of the year orientations pretty simple,
because kids won't remember much of what  you tell them until it becomes
personally relevant to them ("now that I need to  do a research project I need to
know
where books are that can help me"). I  usually plan to use the whole period,
though, just because that cuts down on the  hallway noise. Of course, if you
have a block schedule, your periods are  probably too long for that, so you
will want to use only part of the time. You  can work that detail out with the
English teacher(s).
Our ninth grade school  is morphing into a middle school.  Last year was the
first year I had  access to an Intelliboard for orientation.  Using
information relevant to  our library, I created a Jeopardy game and an interactive
crossword puzzle with  Eclipse crossword software (extremely easy to use).  You
could do this  without an Intelliboard.  Also, I booktalked a few books from our
library  with each class--I had taken pictures of the covers of the books, and
showed  them on the screen while I talked about them. Do you have access to
an LCD  projector? I'm happy to share my Jeopardy game.  I'm going to try to
improve it and revamp it this year for younger students
Your orientation can  take many forms.  I know several professionals who run
freshman orientation  for a full week -- incorporating how to use databases,
indexes, table of  contents, specialty sources, and other library material
--including a  test.

In our high school, we do it all in one week.  Actually, we  save the lessons
on databases and other sources for "just in time" teaching --  feeling the
students retain the information better when they learn it and USE it  at the
same time.

So, for our one period orientation we cover:
HOW TO  GET TO THE LIBRARY:
- from study hall
- from lunch
- obtaining a pass  from a teacher
- "Priority passes" -- something we invented.  Students  are welcome to come
to the library instead of their lunch or study hall.   We take attendance, so
they never go to L or SH first.  We required they  get to us BEFORE THE BELL.
There are many occasions, though, when we close the  library because we (two
librarians) have several classes in there that period --  or have just had an
onrush of students coming in and cannot handle any more that  period.  Then we
slap a CLOSED sign on our door.

There are  always some students who truly need to use the library but cannot
negotiate the  halls quickly enough before that CLOSED sign is slapped up. So,
IF THEY HAVE  GOTTEN A PASS IN ADVANCE (day ahead, before school, earlier
period) and still  make it by the bell, we let them in anyway.  Since they made
it a priority  in their life to get in, we make it a priority to let them in.

HOW TO  CHECK OUT:
- what's needed (ID or temp ID)
- fine rules/restrictions
-  fines carry over from their middle school
- what else we check out  (mostly for in-house use):  magazines, "clip kits
(markers, scissors,  ruler, gluestick), AlphaSmarts, yearbooks, textbooks...)
- maximum  allowed
HOW TO FIND A BOOK:
- introduction to our OPAC

THINGS TO  KNOW ABOUT THE LIBRARY:
- Our home page, with databases, and "How To..."  links
- Book club, and state Reading Award Program (we heavily push)
- How  we can help them
- Layout of the library

In past years we've had a  10-question quiz at the end of a small powerpoint
and demo.  We have  several sets of the same quiz (different order of
questions, different questions  although same answer [how many Biographies does
this
library have on Abraham  Lincoln?  George Patton?].  The quiz requires them to
get up and move  around the library.  Includes:  name to magazines you can
check out  (have to go to circ desk to see them on display); find the 3-hole
punch and  punch this quiz paper; what is the name of the series by Michael
Stackpole; what  is the name of the second story in the story collection entitled
"Mystery Cats";  name one book by Gary Soto; who wrote the story "Weetzie Bat".

At the end  of the period we tried to squeeze in time for students to check
out a  book.

Last year we attempted a Jeopardy game with each  class.  Some questions
still involved running around the library (and they  ran!), some were answerable
from the OPAC on the computer in front of each 2  person team.  It still needs
some work as we didn't get to many of the  important questions we wanted them
to know about.

Yes, we graded the quiz  and returned it to the teachers, some of whom
recorded it as a participation  grade.  A few teachers gave their own classroom
quiz
a day or two  later.

As to getting kids to check out books...Display hot titles on the  televised
daily bulletin, or a display in the library.

Participate in  your state reading award program and run a contest for the
class having the most  readers/voters.

Book club?

Library helpers at the circ desk  each period -- they draw in people as well.
Find people who like to  read!

Contests!!  Guess how many...  Register for a prize with  each book checked
out during Teen Read Week.  In February: Famous Lovers  (Becky & Tom = Tom
Sawyer).

Publish (library webpage, blog, school  newspaper, school newsletter home,
library bulletin board, local newspaper(?))  teen book reviews.

Photograph some teachers with the favorite book --  similar to the READ
posters from ALA.  First picture is a guess who with  the book covering most of the
face.  "Answers" posted in  library.
There is so much to  talk about during orientation, especially if the space
is new to the kids -- do  you know if the space is shared with the middle
school or not? Usually the  problem is there's TOO much to share with them. But if
you have an hour, that's  good because it means you can talk to them for part
of it and then give them  some hands-on time.

Before they come in, you can set up the space with  any materials you have
(computer use policies, welcome brochures, bookmarks,  etc.)

So the first part is showing them the lay of the land, introducing  the
faculty/staff,  the resources at hand, including where the printer is  and how to
print, where the computers are, where the reference collection is,  where the
designated "quiet study areas" are, etc. If your space is small,  that'll be
easy. Then give the guidelines of how the library works -- how many  books can
be checked out at a time, if you have fines, where to find book carts  for
classes if you have those. And any programs you might have (book club,  reading
contests, etc.) Believe it or not some high school kids still don't know  how to
use a library, how to ask when they need help, etc. A lot of them are
intimidated! So you really have to impart that to them -- "I'm here to help,  don't
be afraid to ask me or another adult in the library for help finding a  book,
starting your research, or using the databases," that kind of thing. I  think
actually that that's the most important thing, that they begin to feel
comfortable. You can share the rules here too --  I found it helps to share  WHY
you
have the rules so that they don't feel subject to more arbitrary rules.
(i.e, "we don't eat in the library because food attracts mice, who destroy books
and freak people out.") But that depends on what kind of school you're in.

After this you can show them the resources. I can't believe this school  is
still on a card catalog! But that's okay...it's still really important, maybe
more so if they've never used a card catalog before. You might try to find out
 if the middle school(s) they're coming from are also not yet automated,
because  if so you'll have an easier time teaching them. At the school I was at we
 started with the library's homepage (we had an online catalog so that's how
you  accessed it) and tried to impart, "This is your homebase. If you don't
know  where to start with your research, you can always come here, 24-7."
Because we  also had databases, links to the university's resources, and hotlists
linked off  our website. You might want to point out a couple of key databases
and what  they're good for. This just depends on what you have. We showed
EBSCO, JStor,  and ProQuest. (JStor was important at my school because, somewhat
unfortunately,  the teachers constantly assigned the kids to use it.)

Then if you have  time you could have them partner up and do a quick search
using the catalog. You  could hand out paper strips with a title, author, or
subject on it and have them  find the book in the catalog, then on the shelf.
That could easily take the  whole hour.

If you do have a good number of databases, and I guess even  if you don't,
it's helpful to have another orientation entirely devoted to  research. You
could work with a history or English teacher to bring the kids in  at the
beginning of their first big research project. Then it's more meaningful  and they
remember it (slightly) better.
Does the library have  computers? An lcd projector?  Powerpoint?  If there is
a computer,  does it have internet access?  Do you live in a state that
provides free  access to databases for citizens?  Tennessee has the Tennessee
Electronic  Library.  Georgia has  Galileo.
There are a lot of  things you can cover besides book sources in the library.
I do different 9th  grade orientations based on what teachers request. I have
one that is a  scavenger hunt.  I modified one found thru LM_Net archives. It
includes  introducing yourself to the librarian, finding books in the OPAC,
answering  questions from the school website, writing down the database
password, labeling  a map of the library (copy machine, printer, checkout desk,
catalog, pencil  sharpener, library sections). I first present all this in a
powerpoint projected on the wall and cover library rules. I also can  incorporate
an orientation on avoiding plagiarism and how to do MLA citations or  that can
be done as a stand-alone presentation before a research project.   I have also
done an orientation on evaluating internet sites for credibility and  tied
the information looked for in that process to information needed for MLA
citations. My orientations are more based on how to find and evaluate  information
in any medium than introducing books. I just want students to think  for
themselves and to use information ethically. You could even touch on  internet
safety. I tell students that there is such thing as privacy on the  internet any
more than there is on the bulletin board at the  mall.
I taught a ton of  freshmen orientations. We covered the location of
materials in the library,  obviously how to use the catalog, how to use the
databases,
and then the  students did a scavenger hunt that required them to use all
parts of the  reference collection, and also we tailored it to various teachers
specifications.
I do a three day  orientation, with 40 minutes periods, about 28 kids at a
time (average class  size). Day One: meet the staff and a funny lesson to help
them learn rules  (study hall passes; circ policies, etc); Day Two: trivia hunt
with a library map  (to learn both book sections and necessities like book
drops, pencil sharpeners,  etc); Day Three: test driving the databases (I have
55+  computers so that  makes a difference).  I use the "clickers" (student
response systems) to  give them a practice library quiz.  I show a 1 minute clip
from YouTube on  the blonde in the library.  We design book shaped cutouts to
show our  favorite book, which I then post.  There's a balance between fun and
work,  discipline and relaxed.  Later when they actually have research
projects we  get into everything more intently.

Humbly suggested--I'd start the push  for book checkout on day one to show
the principal that kids will check out  materials if you have the right ones.
This seems to be your most critical issue  to me. Get the teacher who brings the
class to offer bonus points for anyone who  checks out a book as a jump
start.  Put the most popular books you can find  front and center.  Ask the kids
what to buy.  Don't wait for that  "other day" to get that program moving.
Let me preface my  remarks by saying I have no experience with this age group
at all, but I  am
assuming that by 'orientation' you are introducing them to the library and
its services.

Therefore, could you not turn the task around and have them  introduce you to
their library - after
all, they are the ones who have been  there before and you are the newbie.
You would find out what they already  know and have so you are not wasting time
later by teaching this.  Tell  them that there will be changes happening but
ask what already works for them  and what doesn't.  (You might discover why
there has been no borrowing for  4 years.)  Ask what changes they would like to
see, in an ideal world of no  budget restraints, and to prioritise these.
This allows them to draw on  their knowledge of other facilities as well as
helping you develop a plan. Ask  them how they could use their existing knowledge
of libraries to help you  undertake some of the tasks on the plan. (Perhaps
they could look at the  publication dates of the non fiction and pull those older
than ten years so you  can then make your initial weeding decisions from that
pile.)

By having  them involved in this sort of input, you are giving them ownership
of the  facility and you
will be surprised at how much they will value  this.
I would approach this  as a book is a book....if it's a well-written YA
novel, it'll  circulate. Tell the superintendent that you will booktalk for the
English  classes, teach them about databases, and orientation is not about a
whole bunch  of rules and procedures (they know these all too well when they've
reached high  school) but one that will create an atmosphere of the library for
students, not  a library for the librarian. Make the library approachable,
start relationships  with students, and collaborate with teachers. To me, these
are the three  essentials in a good library program.
Just remember that the  most important resources in a library are a welcoming
smile and a good  attitude. The best-stocked library will not be used if it
is staffed by an  unfriendly librarian.
Yours is different  than mine but my job when I started was to get kids to
come to the  library.  I first asked them what they were reading and bought
every book I  could that would relate to what they wanted.  I include Manga,
magazines,  sci fi and romance.
I then started with computer classes (9th grade) and gave  instruction on
research using state provided databases.  I also made  headway into English
classes providing instruction on research and  plagiarism.  I made the library an
inviting place to be and kids  came.
Probably the most  important thing to do is to make sure they know who you
are and that you are  there to help.  Are you the only one responsible for the
orientation? Think  about these questions and see if you can get some answers
before you  start:
What kinds of libraries did the kids come from? Find out what you can  about
the feeder schools and their facilities. What is the Public Library like?  Do
the kids use it?
What expectations do the teachers have of the library  program? Are there
any? (that may be another whole battle)
How does the  principal know that books were not taken out?  Ask him WHY NOT?
(Was there  a  librarian or just a clerk?)
Do you have a budget?  Can you update the collection or are you on your own
to beg, borrow and steal?  (If so , check with the local public library for
handoffs--I got a bunch of good  YA fiction that way)

If I were to have the kids for part of their 9th  grade orientation, I would
stress the wide variety of resources we have, how to  access them, what is in
various sections of the library (fiction. reference,  non-fiction, copy
machine, book return), and perhaps toss in a couple quick  booktalks. Remind them
you can help with bibliographies, or finding materials at  other libraries. Tell
them you will be working with the teachers to find out  what they will need.
Ask them what they like to read (graphic novels, which  magazines, what kinds
of fiction or non-fiction). Ask them why they might use  the library.  Since
you are both new, try to get them to define your job.  If they are clueless,
clue them in.
If I were you I would  propose a lesson in electronic library resources and
use you local public  library.  there's a ton of stuff that you can develop
into several lessons  of any time amount.  for example you can use the OPAC  to
demonstrate  how to search on OPAC's.  If you have a library card you can
probably  access the databases as well.  If you have access to a computer and an
LCD  projector you can "show" STUDENTS how to search for any number of things.

You might want to stress the importance of automating and get proposals  for
you school.  I was in a similiar situation and convinced my shoool to  take
the leap and got estimates from several vendors for hosting our  system.  we
went with atrium and I have spent the last year cataloging our  collection.  my
principal was very pleased with the restults.  this  summer we subscirbed to
EBSCO databases as well as United Video Streaming.   anyway as you can see one
thing leads to another and before you know it you are  a full fledged library
with all the latest resources.

If you are  doing an orientation be sure to include a AUP policy and
signature sheets for  all students as well as an overview on Internet safety and
plagiarism.

Alma Ramos-McDermott
ALA Spectrum Scholar  2006
sunshinealma@aol.com