This review, and others, can be found on "Shelf Life: The Livingston High School
Reading Blog":
http://lhsblog.edublogs.org/

Dreamquake by Elizabeth Knox

(Note: I read this last fall and never blogged it.)

Book 1 in this duet, Dreamhunter, ended seemingly in the middle of the story’s
climax.  It was one of those endings that makes you want to take the author by the
lapels and yell, “why did you do that to me?!”  Finally, after more than a year,
the second book was released.  There was no way I was going to wait for the
paperback.  Now I can forgive Ms. Knox.  Dreamquake is every bit as good as book1,
and this time the story has an ending.

This volume begins with the cataclysmic scene that ended the first book.  Laura
Hame, a young dreamhunter (someone who can catch and share dreams from the
mysterious “Place”) overrides her famous aunt as she shares a pleasant holiday
dream with thousands of people at the Rainbow Opera.  The dream Laura shares is
terrifying and it begins to expose insidious government corruption and abuse.
Laura’s actions sicken and injure thousands of people and create turmoil.  As
Laura, her living sandman creation, and her cousin Rose, struggle to remain free
and to show people the truth about the government’s plans, Laura must also deal
with a larger and more profound mystery.  What is “The Place”, where did it come
from, and what does it want from her?

While there is a good deal of action and plenty of plot twists, it is the
relationships that rule in this story.  Knox is a pleasure to read and she creates
some great characters, not least of which is Nown, the sandman.  If you haven’t
read Dreamhunter already you should definitely read that first.  Highly recommended
for stronger readers grades 9-adult.

Tony

Anthony Doyle, Teacher Librarian
Livingston High School
Livingston, CA
tdoyle@muhsd.k12.ca.us<mailto:tdoyle@muhsd.k12.ca.us>

"Play nice."
Mrs. Young (my kindergarten teacher)

The contents of this message are private and are intended for the recipients named
in the To and CC fields.  You may not forward this message without the expressed
permission of the author.  The contents of this message are the work of the author
and do not represent the opinions or policies of the Merced Union High School
District or Livingston High School.