I originally asked if there was any special features that you needed to look
for in a digital picture frame to play PowerPoints and do some of the other
cool things that LM-netters have been describing. I didn't receive anything I
thought was too definitive, but I'll sum up what I did get. I think I thanked
everyone who responded individually, but collectively thanks for the input.

First, the frames are set up to run jpegs, so if you save your PowerPoint as
jpegs, you don't need anything special. In PowerPoint 2007 you can save your
PowerPoint presentation as a jpeg, by clicking on the multicolored button ->
Save as -> Save as Other Formats -> then choose jpeg from the list of choices
(hint: you have to go a ways down to find it).

Second, you need a USB port to use a memory stick to load the PowerPoint onto
to the digital picture frame. I assume this is a standard feature, but couldn't
get any definite confirmation that it is.

Third, I heard from one LM-Netter who had gotten a digital picture frame for
her library and then returned it because it wouldn't play a wav file or other
things she thought it should. No word from anyone whether some models can
handle this or not.

Fourth, another LM-Netter wondered if I couldn't just play PowerPoints on a
smart board. I don't have one and need this to be very portable, but she did
have one and was I think looking for input. I assume a smart board could be
used that  way, since they can be used as just another computer monitor, but I
have only had very limited experience with smart boards so I wasn't much help
to her.

Fifth, I got a warning of a newstory that some jolly jokester was adding
malware to the frames before they shipped. So that's something to be aware of
and to perhaps take precautions about.

If anybody does know for sure if USB port is standard, if some frames play
formats other than jpegs, anything else about the malware or other features a
purchaser should look for, please share with the list.

Sarah S. Uthoff
Reference Librarian
Kirkwood Community College
Cedar Rapids, IA