I was curious so I found the Bentonville High School Library web site.  It states
that they have a "North" library and a "South" library.  One houses about 18,000
items (books, etc.) while the other is indeed an e-library.  To me this means they
are not entirely "bookless".   Access to databases and other information was
readily available as was this statement.

Welcome to the BHS Library webpage. The North eLibrary  is designed to provide our
school with access to quality non-print materials  whether the student is searching
from home or from school.  We hope to promote a lifelong interest in learning
through accurate, current, comprehensive, unbiased electronic resources.  Likewise,
the South Library is devoted to print materials supportive of a lifetime of reading
and learning.

http://users.bentonville.k12.ar.us/bhslibrary/

  In order to serve my own high school population I have chosen to include a large
number of ebooks in the collection.  I did this only after surveying our students
and found 90% to have computers, internet access and printers available at home.  I
know this is not the norm but will evidently work for a large percentage of the
population I am serving.  I am certainly not bookless as we have accumulated over
20,000 items in the three years we have been open.

I think the message from the administration was misleading as was the news story.

Nancy LeCrone
Librarian
Rockwall-Heath High School
Rockwall ISD
801 Laurence Drive
Heath, Texas 75032
469-698-2605
nlecrone@rockwallisd.org
http://site.rockwallisd.com/RHHS/default.aspx

"Coming together is a beginning; keeping together is progress;
 working together is success."
                                                                              Henry
Ford
>>> Donna Williams <DWilliams6856@ATT.NET> 08/13/08 2:30 PM >>>
I'm not that fond of the idea of a "bookless" library, either, for the same
reasons as Marsha.

Also, those who are quick readers and must use aids such as highlighters to
slow down and absorb the material wouldn't do well with nonfiction on an
iPod or computer screen.

Donna Williams
May '07 SLIS graduate
University of North Texas