 Carol raised an interesting perspective about whether costs will cover the
royalties on the images,
let alone those on the words which form the author's income.  $17 would hardly
cover the production,
packaging and distribution costs.

From an author's perspective, (which the principal mentioned is obviously not
considering), if there
isn't a decent return for your labour because publishers negotiate contracts with
diminished
royalties because of a diminished return, then there will be fewer textbooks to
choose from and the
quality of those that there are, might be suspect.

One day, probably not in my lifetime though, people will start to realise that
teachers and authors
are not like nuns and priests who have a calling to a vocation - we chose the
profession, it didn't
choose us and we are there to make a living.

In 2003, when I had a high profile in the teacher librarian world here, I had many
requests to write
papers for this or for that publication but there was never mention of payment for
my time and
expertise - and even 200 words can take hours to craft.  In the end I refused,
saying they were
devaluing the role of the teacher librarian by expecting things for free,
especially when their
publication wasn't.  In Australia, this is not a world of "publish or be damned"
and the "thrill' of
seeing your name in print doesn't put food on the table.

So while bookless libraries might make economic sense to short-sighted principals,
someone still has
to write the material for the digital delivery format and they'd want to be sure
that the best of
the best to do that are rewarded well enough to keep doing it.

Barbara

Barbara Braxton
Teacher Librarian
COOMA NSW 2630