However, as a once-upon-a-time fourth grade teacher, I had a  student come to
school with the book with a bodice ripper, thinking she could share the most
interesting parts with her 9 and 10 year old friends. I confiscated the book, gave
it back to her at the end of the day and told her I wanted a note from her mom that
she was allowed to read it. Never got the note, never saw the book again.
When the contents of the book interfere with learning, I think the teacher has the
right to question the appropriateness of the reading material.

Roberta Kobbe, Librarian
Kingman Elementary School
607 N. Spruce
Kingman, KS  67068
620-532-3186
rkobbe@knusd331.com
>>> Barbara Braxton <barbara.288@BIGPOND.COM> 12/04/08 1:37 PM >>>
Already I have received a number of responses to my post, several disagreeing with
my stance that
teachers do not have the right to determine what a child  chooses to read during
non-instructional
time.  So I would ask how you would respond to a hypothetical situation such as
this ...

Imagine your child has chosen to read The Bible or the Koran and takes it to
school, or borrows it
from the library, to continue reading during silent reading opportunities in the
class.  You support
his/her choice.  But the TEACHER refuses to let the child read it simply because
he/she disagrees
with its subject matter because of his/her personal beliefs.

Would you support the teacher's decision? Would you defend your child's choice?  Is
such a situation
not censorship?  Does it not conflict with the individual's right to read which I
think is
guaranteed in your Constitution somewhere?
Barbara

Barbara Braxton
Teacher Librarian
COOMA NSW 2630