When you say classroom text , do you mean that all 10th graders would read the
book?  I use this book at grade 7 as part of an outcast unit and it has worked out
wonderful but the kids also have lots of other choices.  We sent an annotated
bibliography home for parents and we are very up front with them about which books
have language considerations.  They decide which books their children will be
allowed to read.  We offer about 16 choices.  Another choice we offer that has
language is Sherman Alexie's new book The Absolutely True Diary of A Part-time
Indian but we also offer others like The Outcasts of 19 Schuyler Place, Diary
Queen, So B. It.  and more.  I just returned from seeing our students presentations
after reading a number of this books and they were amazing.  One girl wrote a short
story about what is it like to be the sibling of an autistic child.  One student
wrote a poem about a student who was bullied and ended up bringing a gun to school.
 One student presented a PowerPoint about his own experience living with ADHD.
Very powerful learning has taken place and I believe it is because we gave them
books with enough substance, though some of them did have offensive language.  When
I told them about your situation they said they didn't read anything they hadn't
already heard on school bus.  They also said the language made the book more
authentic.  So....would I require every students to read the book....no....would I
offer it as a choice and be up front with parents about the language....absolutely.
 We haven't had one complaint and our parents thanks us for including them.  I
would be happy to email you the letter we sent to parents if you are interested.
Just so you know, I am from a very conservative school district and one of the
students is the son of a school board member.  We planned this very carefully and
it paid off in what our students have been able to learn.

Beth Martin
Teacher Librarian
DC Everest Middle School IMC
bmartin@dce.k12.wi.us
715-241-9700 ex.2320

>>> Debra Gniewek <debgniewek@GMAIL.COM> 2/28/2008 1:28 PM >>>
The 10th grade English classes in our district is considering the addition
of
The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time to the curriculum. Does
anyone
know of any other high schools using this as a classroom text? If so, what
grade
is using it? Have there been any challenges because of the language?

I will post a hit. Thanks so much!

Debra Gniewek, Librarian
CRHS South
Holland, PA