Thanks to everyone who responded, I think I replied to you all.  Here
are the many options I received.  My English teachers were very
appreciative of all the new ideas.  :)  Lisa

Four years ago I taught these novels in English III/AP English III:
Glass Menagerie Scarlet Letter, Their Eyes Were Watching God, A
Raisin in the Sun, All the Pretty Horses, Invisible Man, Chris
Crutcher's Staying Fat for Sarah Brynes, and Og Madino'sThe Twelth
Angel. They also read Great Gatsby, Death of Salesman, and Ethan Frome.

Regular ed classes did well withGlass Menagerie, Raisin in the sun,
Death of Salesman and Crutcher's and Mandino'sbooks. the kids really
liked Crutcher; they also liked Anderson'sSpeak.

Ethan Frome;  The Crucible;  My Antonia:  O"Pioneers;  Huckleberry
Finn;  The Grapes of Wrath;  The Hobbit;  Death of a Salesman; The
Chosen;

Interestingly, there was an article about teaching The Great Gatsby in
the New York Times earlier this week.  It seems many kids, especially
some immigrant kids (much to my surprise) can really relate to Gatsby.
Here is the link to the article.  The English teachers might find it
interesting:

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/02/17/education/17gatsby.html?scp=1&sq=gatsby&st=nyt

The Outsiders
The Scarlet Letter
The Great Gatsby
The Death of a Salesman
Their Eyes Were Watching God
*Narrative of the Life of Fredrick Douglass
*Othello
*Of Mice and Men
*The Turn of the Screw
*Walden

*Denotes AP

Their Eyes Were Watching God (We got this one a few more times)

According to a quick survey of our junior-level English faculty (all
two of them), literature choices are:

The Great Gatsby (big surprise here)
 Ethan Frome
 Macbeth
Fallen Angels

The first three are pretty traditional and are used by our AP English
11 teacher; Macbeth and Fallen Angels is used by the teacher who has all
the regular and remedial juniors. Fallen Angels is by Walter Dean Myers
and is wonderful, especially at holding the attention of reluctant
readers.

The Secret Lives of Bees relates to US History and is a wonderful
story.

What about A SEPARATE PEACE or TO KILL A MOCKINGBIRD or NIGHT?  Region
4 ESC has spiral bound teacher's guides for each. The guide includes
open-ended discussion questions, as well as short answer and essay
questions that are aligned with TAKS and SAT skills. Each guide teaches
grammar in context and guides a teacher through, chapter by chapter.
Each has quizzes and a final unit exam.

ALL THE PRETTY HORSES or COLD MOUNTAIN or ATONEMENT or POISONWOOD BIBLE
or THE SCARLET LETTER might work, too, but we don't have materials on
those. What about a play? DEATH OF A SALEMAN or A DOLL'S HOUSE or A
RAISIN IN THE SUN or OUR TOWN could be interesting.

The Great Gatsby
Of Mice and Men
The Crucible
Night
Narrative of Frederick Douglas
The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn
The Things They Carried
The Scarlet Letter

Here's the Cypress *Fairbanks Independent School District Summer
Reading List for English III students.  All the Pretty Horses - Cormac
McCarthy;At Home in Mitford * Jan Karon;Band of Brothers: E Company,
506th Regiment, 101st Airborne, from Normandy to Hitler*s Eagle*s Nest
*Stephen E. Ambrose;Black Boy - Richard Wright;Caramelo * Sandra
Cisneros;The Catcher in the Rye * J.D. Salinger;Cold Mountain * Charles
Frazier;Dance Hall of the Dead * Tony Hillerman;East of Eden * John
Steinbeck;The Five People You Meet in Heaven * Mitch Albom;A Gathering
of Old Men * Ernest Gaines;The Glass Castle * Jeanette Walls;The Good
Earth * Pearl S. Buck;Isaac*s Storm: A Man, a Time, and the Deadliest
Hurricane in History * Erik Larson;The Joy Luck Club * Amy Tan;The
Junction Boys: How Ten Days in Hell with Bear Bryant Forged a Champion
Team at Texas A&M * Jim Dent;The Last Juror * John Grisham;The
Negotiator * Dee Henderson;Nickel and Dimed: On (Not) Getting By in
America * Barbara Ehrenreich;102 Minutes:The Untold Story of the Fight
to Survive Inside the Twin Towers-Jim Dwyer & Kevin Flynn;The Poisonwood
Bible * Barbara Kingsolver;A Prayer for Owen Meany * John
Irving;Skinwalkers * Tony Hillerman;The Testament * John Grisham;Where
the Heart Is * Billie Letts;Standing in the Rainbow- Fannie Flagg

Lisa Rose
Librarian
B.F. Terry High School
5500 Avenue N
Rosenberg, TX 77471
phone: 832.223.3423

fax: 832.223.3401
rose@lcisd.org
http://www.lcisd.org/Schools/HighSchools/terryhighschool/Library/

"Children may forget what you say, but they will never forget how you
make them feel."--Unknown
A withdrawn student is like  a treasure chest.  Somewhere, there's a
key.
--Unknown