In Abridged Dewey 14 (don't we all have that in our home bookshelves? [giggle])
363.1 is "public safety programs".   However, it has not always been that topic.

Remember what you learned in your cataloging class. These tools are periodically
updated. The 300 class was overhauled several years ago. When these things happen,
if you don't go in and correct your old cataloging and you get in new books classed
under the new scheme, your books will no longer be shelved together because you
will have some under the old numbers and some under the new.

Cataloging is a living breathing system. It's not "one and done". Yes, it takes a
lot of time to fulfill the mandate of "like materials together," but that's what
librarians do.

Carol Simpson, Ed.D.
Assoc. Professor (mod. svc.)
School of Library & Information Sciences
University of North Texas
PO Box 311068
307 S. Avenue B, Suite 205
Denton, TX 76203
940-565-3776 (voice)
940-565-3101 (fax)
carol_simpson@unt.edu

>>> Comcast <k.weisman@COMCAST.NET> 1/20/2008 11:26 AM >>>
I don't have my Dewey at home with me, but I think 363.1 is
disasters, including shipwrecks.  But I agree, putting something in
the 300's is pretty much the same as throwing it away because no one
will ever find it there.  (Yes, I do teach OPAC use, but a lot of
kids just go directly to the shelves.)   I keep most of my Titanic
stuff in 910.

Kay Weisman, Librarian
Willowbrook Elementary School
Glenview, IL 60022