HI, All,

The ALA President Loriene Roy is asking for suggestions of titles for the teacher
below and will use them for an NPR interview stemming from the message below. I
appreciate her asking the youth division presidents for input and would like
suggestions of good new children's books to give her for Black History month,
diversity, and situations like the classroom below...Thanks, Sara J

Subject: good children's books

Dear Friends,

As many of you know, I'm the 5th grade Resource Room teacher at the
Marshall Elementary School in Dorchester. We are an "underperforming"
school and our students are low-income Black and Latino children. For
our "Understanding Violence" initiative, the entire 5th grade class is
currently reading "We Beat the Streets," a book about three young men
from Newark who made a pact to become doctors and did. The authors are
very honest about the drugs, violence, and poverty in their lives and
how they overcame many obstacles to their success. Our kids love it and
can't stop reading it. One of our students finished the book in a couple
of days. Our book room is very sparse. In general, our students are not
that interested in reading. One of my students recently told me that he
had not read an entire book until doing guided reading with me.
I was wondering if you could recommend any books, especially ones that
would be good for guided reading (four or five students read the same
book in a teacher-directed small group), that would be as relevant to
our students' lives? If I compile a good list, my principal has
committed to buying the books. Please let me know any ideas you have.
Books need to be at the elementary school age reading level.

I appreciate your support and any suggestions you may  have.

Peace & Love, Joyce

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
Sara Kelly Johns
AASL 2007-08 President
Associate Editor for AASL Community, Knowledge Quest
Lake Placid Middle/High School LMC
34 School Street
Lake Placid, NY 12946
518-523-2474, ext. 4132
FAX: 518-523-4861
johns@northnet.org
SaraKJohns@aol.com
<http://fromtheinsideout.blogspace.com>

"Information is the currency of democracy." -- Thomas Jefferson