HIT!

Original Post:

Yikes!!!  I have been swamped with working at two high schools (total 2500
students) and a third for textbooks issues.  I will finally have an opportunity to
present a high school age research class to the local teachers on Mar 10.  I am the
only credentialed librarian in the 16-school district and I haven't had any
opportunity to instruct.

I could use some great ideas.  I hope that you can help me.  We use MLA format.

HITS:

As of this year, I am collaborating with every English teacher to teach a research
unit.  I use Schlessinger's Research Skills for Students DVD series, specifically
Organizing Research and Avoiding Plagiarism.  We use graphic organizers and
source/note card ideas from Joyce Valenza's Power Tools Recharged.  The source/note
card forms are fill-in the blank for the most common formats (book, website,
database). I am also covering the Big 6.  Whew!
Classes have 6 days in IMC for instruction and research then go back to classroom
for prewriting, rough draft, final paper.
We know it is a ongoing process and do not expect to see miracles in just one year
but our students have NOT been taught how to research so this is a start.

Good luck!  It can be daunting.

Ann Jantzen

I do a research unit on Pandemics in history. It is a great way to
include science, math, history and reading/writing. They love the pus,
pox and pestilence.

M. Joy Wright
J.L. Hughes Elementary

Use Citation Machine  http://citationmachine.net/

It uses MLA format
and let's the kids "fill in the blank" on the citation machine
It will help them cite these types of documents-  After they fill in the blanks and
get the finished citation, you can copy/paster to a word processor.
My younger teachers ( age 40 and under) use this. My older teachers prefer to still
use the note cards and have the kids look up the correct formatting for each source.
I have a shortcut to the site on my webpage for easy access for students.Or you
just could just give them the address to the website.

MLA
Fewer?
PRINT
* Book - One or More Authors
* Anthology or Compilation (including textbook)
* Encyclopedia or other reference work
* Government Publication
* Conference Proceedings
* Journal Article - One or More Authors
* Magazine Article - One or More Authors
* Newspaper Article
NON-PRINT
* Internet Journal or Magazine Article - One or More Authors
* Weblog [blog] (Not defined in MLA Handbook)
* Podcast (not defined in MLA Handbook)
* Online Encyclopedia (Not defined in MLA Handbook)
* E-mail Communication
* Encyclopedia (CD-ROM)
* Work from a Subscription Service
* Work from a Subscription Service Accessed through a Library - one or more authors

* TV or Radio Program
* Film or Video Recording
* Personal Interview
* Lecture, speech, address, reading
* Web Document

I would have the teachers be sure they pre-approve the topics each
student will be researching. We've seen some doozies that the teacher
did not want the students to research.

Have them use subscription databases (if you have access). These contain
magazines, newspapers, etc.--reputable sources.

Jennifer Kilgore
Librarian

I would be interested to see what you get.

Regards

Dominique Collins

You might find this useful for the future or for some ideas for your
presentation:

http://www.proquestk12.com/lsm/pqelib/pdfs/antiplagguide.pdf

http://fno.org/feb07/topic.html

Carl Janetka, ProQuest K-12 Education Consultant
Retired Teacher and Tech Coordinator

Please post a hit!
Carol Connally
LMS Brewbaker Technology Magnet High School

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

A great place to start is  "Kathy Schrock's Educators Guide" online-- she's posted
as part of the Discovery School website.  Her compiled sites and information on
research and information literacy are outstanding.  On her site you will also find
info on "The Big 6" which is a wonderful way to teach research.

Be sure to teach how to "read" a URL so the kids know where the information has
come from-- a reputable source-- not just someone's homepage, and of course how to
manage a book-- use the index (back-of-the-book or separate volume) and table of
contents-- many students are unaware of them still.

In order to avoid plagiarism teach them the difference between citing a quote and
citing a paraphrase or summary.  If you are always teaching them how to cite, they
won't get the idea that they can cut and paste (or copy word for word) at will. (Be
sure to cite your sources when you create handouts-- you can teach them by
example.)

On LM_NET's homepage there is a link to FAQ 1.  It has several suggestions and
plans for teaching research listed under a few of those links.

To teach using the OPAC you can make handouts with screen shots of the various
screens the studens see as they use it.  If you can then do a live presentation,
that would best, but the handouts with the screen shots will help later.  You can
also post a quick list of steps next to each computer in your library to help them
remember when they are accessing the OPAC without you.

Good luck!

Amy Hankamer
Teacher-Librarian

Thanks for your great suggestions!  I now have 10 eBooks, netTrekker database, and
other online access to information.

I need to get busy preparing!
Maxine

M Samuelson, Teacher-Librarian