"How many out there have been using Worldcat?"  Using it how and for what?
I LOVE worldcat...I am a school librarian for 650 students, prk-12, 4 libraries.
I use worldcat (www.worldcat.org) to look up books/dvds/TEXTBOOKS when I can't
find them anywhere else and I need subjects or synopsis.  I cut and past MARC lines
as needed, especially Summary/Abstract under "details" into my FOllett cataloging.
As a register user (no fees) I can also submit summary/abstracts for items which
are
missing them.
  By cutting and pasting, I am creating an "original" marc in my local Follett
database.  My
mistakes will stay my own.
  I have also shown the site to school research classes.  They
can look up any topic, put in their zip code, and see if a local library has the
item.  They can cut & paste the info in an email to me & I can request through
Illinois Firstsearch.  http://www.firstsearch.org/  This is a fee based service
our regional library system has connected us up to.  (Alliance Library system, IL)
  As for "various schemes MARC - Dublin Core, etc" I had to look that one up!
  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dublin_Core  YES WIKIPEDIA...so shoot me, it's fast
!
  The "Dublin" in the name refers to Dublin, Ohio, U.S., where the work originated
from an invitational workshop hosted in 1995 by OCLC, a library consortium that is
based there. The "Core" refers to the fact that the metadata element set is a basic
but expandable "core" list.
  The semantics of Dublin Core were established and are maintained by an
international, cross-disciplinary group of professionals from librarianship,
computer science, text encoding, the museum community, and other related fields of
scholarship and practice.
The Dublin Core Metadata Initiative (DCMI) is an organization providing an open
forum for the development of interoperable online metadata standards that support a
broad range of purposes and business models. DCMI's activities include
consensus-driven working groups, global conferences and workshops, standards
liaison, and educational efforts to promote widespread acceptance of metadata
standards and practices.
Levels of the standard
The Dublin Core standard includes two levels: Simple and Qualified. Simple Dublin
Core comprises fifteen elements; Qualified Dublin Core includes three additional
elements (Audience, Provenance and RightsHolder), as well as a group of element
refinements (also called qualifiers) that refine the semantics of the elements in
ways that may be useful in resource discovery.
  Simple Dublin Core
The Simple Dublin Core Metadata Element Set (DCMES) consists of 15 metadata
elements:
  Title
Creator
Subject
Description
Publisher
Contributor
Date
Type
Format
Identifier
Source
Language
Relation
Coverage
Rights
Each Dublin Core element is optional and may be repeated. The DCMI has established
standard ways to refine elements and encourage the use of encoding and vocabulary
schemes. There is no prescribed order in Dublin Core for presenting or using the
elements.
  Full information on element definitions and term relationships can be found in
the Dublin Core Metadata Registry [1].
  I was REALLY surprised there were not more "hits" on this subject.
  B. Waters
Western CUSD12
Barry, IL
billlibrary@yahoo.com