Good morning,

Joseph Bruchac's new book, MARCH TOWARD
THE THUNDER sounds like a winner. Beverly Slapin's
review of it went onto my site yesterday (July 12, 2008).
For those who don't know, Native people serve in the
US Armed Forces at a greater rate per capita than any
other group. MARCH TOWARD THE THUNDER
is about Native men in the Civil War. The protagonist
is based on Bruchac's great grandfather, Louis Bowman,
who served in the Irish Brigade. This morning (Sunday),
I added a youtube video of Bruchac singing a song he
wrote called "Dare to Hope."
http://americanindiansinchildrensliterature.blogspot.com/

This week, I've added the following items to my site:
(Apologies for cross posting.)

Monday, July 7
A fascinating new book is out, called LITTLE HOUSE,
LONG SHADOW: LAURA INGALLS WILDER'S
IMPACT ON AMERICAN CULTURE. It is by Anita
Clair Fellman, a professor in Women's Studies. If any
of you study the Wilder's books, either as a fan or a
critic, you'll be interested in the book.

July 10, 2008
Louise Erdrich's THE PORCUPINE YEAR will be
released in September. I point to an excellent review
by Elizabeth Bird of SLJ.

Also on July 10th, I wrote about a nonfiction book
called KEEPING PROMISES that answers a lot of
questions about American Indians: "Who is an
Indian?" and "What is a tribe?" are two examples.
It's very accessible, with lot of photographs, and
it is only 32 pages in length.

July 11, 2008
You know how we connect with books one way
and then something in our life changes and we read
it a different way? That happened to me with Cynthia
Leitich Smith's picture book JINGLE DANCER.
I wrote about that different way of relating to the
book when I re-read it on Friday...

July 12, 2008
I'm intrigued with book trailers and am happy to see
one for Cynthia Leitich Smith's RAIN IS NOT MY
INDIAN NAME. It's on my site, or you can go right
to hers:
http://cynthialeitichsmith.blogspot.com/2008/06/book-trailer-rain-is-not-my-indian-name.html

Please share this email with others who work with
children and books. Have a good week! I'm looking
forward to being with my family at Nambe for the
next couple of weeks. Green chili. Yay! If you're
vacationing in Santa Fe, and shopping for Native
jewelry, pottery or art, don't get ripped off... Buy
directly from Native vendors that sell their art. If you
buy from them, your $$ goes right to that family. None
of it goes to the profit margin of a company that may
or may not be selling something that was made by a
Native artist.

Debbie

Visit my Internet resource:
American Indians in Children's Literature
http://americanindiansinchildrensliterature.info

Debbie A. Reese (Nanbé Ówîngeh)
Assistant Professor, American Indian Studies
Native American House, Room 2005
1204 West Nevada Street, MC-138
Urbana, Illinois 61801

Email: debreese@illinois.edu