Like Elizabeth, I didn't do away with Dewey but I certainly modified the system for
my K-6 students.

For example, if a book was about a train then it was at 625.2 on the same shelf as
the planes and
cars and boats because that is where my little ones would look first.  I chose not
to distinguish
between whether it was a form of transport or a from of communication.  Each
country book was with
its mates under a number starting with 94, 95, 96, 97, 98 or 99 depending on its
continent. I had a
huge number of dinosaur books and because of this and the fact that 567.9 came in
an hard-to-get at
place on the shelves,  I had them on a separate display.  They were in and out all
the time anyway.
Horrible Histories, Horrible Geography et al were on a spinner and they also went
in and out,
whereas they were untouched when they were shelved conventionally.  I also put
skinny series of non
fiction on a stand because even though they were especially published in a format
to attract little
ones, they didn't find them among the more 'serious' books.

As I established the library, I bought hundreds of dollars worth of subject divider
blocks (one for
every subject that had more than about three books or was clearly a distinct topic
from its
neighbours) and I made the signs to slip into these to meet my needs.  Publisher +
black on yellow
paper + laminate = cheap but distinctive labels.  I haunted El Cheapos and bought
dozens of
lightweight toys to match the categories.  I strung these together using fishing
line and hung them
as mobiles over the most popular topics.  At the bottom of the mobile was a
laminated card with the
topic and the Dewey number. Countries were distinguished by their flags.

My aim was for a young disabled kindergarten student (who is now facing a very big
battle at 14) to
be able to come in and use the non fiction section independently.  I figured if
Molly could get a
book about music or ballet or kittens for herself or stumble across something new
because she liked
the mobile, then the time and effort was worth it all.  The mobiles also made the
section very
attractive and lively. (You can see some of my quirkiness at
http://palmdps.act.edu.au/resource_centre/virtual_visit/intro_vv.htm but I have had
no access to the
site to update or change it for two years  - in fact, you can't even reach it from
the homepage any
more. Another story for another day)

My fiction section was equally radical - probably moreso - but it was all about
independent access
from an early age.

As the students got older we had lessons about how to work the number system (I had
no expectation
that the children would memorise the actual numerical locations) but if they could
use the signage
or the OPAC and navigate their way to the resource, that was all I needed. And with
all the books on
a particular topic together, they didn't miss many.

Some of the purists among you may shudder, but rest assured, by the time the
children left for
middle school , they were all independent users of the facility and felt confident
about using both
their new school library and the public library.  And they were immensely better
off than those at
the school now because I was not replaced when I retired!!

Barbara

Barbara Braxton
Teacher Librarian
COOMA NSW 2630