"E for Easy" is a discussion I started on the list not so long ago, and I HATE the
term, for
precisely the reason Shonda stated. Support your struggling readers, don't label
them.  Thank
goodness it is not a term used widely here!

If these books are picture books (regardless of the intended age group) why not P
for Picture if
your novels are F for Fiction and you have to discriminate? .

Non fiction never seemed to be an issue - the kids took what they wanted or needed
at the time.
They were glad that there was something with information about their topic.  The
littlies took the
harder ones because there was much in the picture, the olders could take the easier
ones, although,
on the  whole they were more or less at the same level.   If the older ones were
actually using them
for research, the easier were ones made it easy to teach keywords, note-taking and
re-writing in
your own words.  Less information to choose and the keywords more obvious.  All I
did was make
displays of some the very thin series that would have got lost on the shelves, plus
other series
like Horrible Histories and its cousins.

Absolutely nothing would ever have made me shelve any part of my library based on
reading ability.

Barbara

Barbara Braxton
Teacher Librarian