From: School Library Media & Network Communications [LM_NET@LISTSERV.SYR.EDU] On
Behalf Of Mary Jo [chapelst-mj@CHARTER.NET]
Sent: Friday, July 18, 2008 12:56 PM
To: LM_NET@LISTSERV.SYR.EDU
Subject: Re: Dewey?

I have enjoyed the discussion of Dewey vs. "other" systems.
We have a separate, small preschool library for our school  and the preschool
teachers did NOT like my Dewey arrangement in fiction. It is essentially a teacher
resource library and self service (due mainly to financial considerations) and I
have my hands full with the k-6 library and teaching art. (They know how to find me
if they need something) The non-fiction was Dewey accompanied by numerous relevant
shelf labels. Their biggest objection was that they didn't know the authors to look
for if they wanted a counting book, for example. (Their library isn't automated)
Over Thanksgiving, they took over and intershelved the fiction and non-fiction so
that all books involving farm animals were together, transportation all together
and they could go directly to that section to find their resources for that unit.
It was only a short time before they came to me wanting to know where they could
find Eric Carle books for their author study.  I could only tell them I couldn't
help them since I had no idea where they might have put them--colors? days of the
week?  insects?  animals? I turned that library over to a pre-k teacher since I was
over the top in terms of frustration with them. She did it for a year and refuses
to do it anymore--and returned it to the pre-intershelved condition. The grass is
always greener on the other side.... No easy answers are there?

Mary Jo Enders, librarian
Children's University
Arlington, TX  76017
chapelst-mj@charter.net