Last spring there was a thread on LM_NET concerning fun/interesting
items at the circulation desk. Many responded with what items they had
and why they had them. Often these items helped students while they
waited in line, or students who were in the library but not reading.

This summer while helping out my elderly parent go through some
paperwork at the Sr Citizens Center, the director had on her desk a
"Seek and find bottle". It was a plastic water bottle (individual size)
filled with birdseed and about 18 small items such as a paper clip,
penny, screw, jingle bell etc. The lid is glued on. You turn and shake
the bottle attempting to find all of the small items. It isn't easy,
especially if the bottle is full. Anyway, it kept my hands occupied we
discussed things.

I was thinkng this would be something really easy to make and
interesting to have on the circulation desk. I did some searching and
found what I was looking for using the term "Treasure Bottle" with
several sets of directions. Some use rice or sand instead of bird seed.
Some don't fill the bottle as full, but I will tell you that a full
bottle makes it harder. Then you put a list of the items on the bottle
itself.

Anyway here is a lin to one set of directions.
http://jas.familyfun.go.com/arts-and-crafts?page=CraftDisplay&craftid=10651

I plan to make some for my office and circulation counter. I am also
wondering if having some out for inservice meetings would mean people
would be too distracted to pay attention?

Deborah Stafford
Wiesbaden High School
Wiesbaden Germany
deborah.stafford@t-online.de