MY ORIGINAL POST:
Hi Everyone,
As a result of a construction project at my school, our library closed 6 weeks
before the end of school.  I was able to keep out materials I'd use for the
remainder of the year before I packed everything else for storage.  It seems to be
a reality that although the rest of the school will be ready for the first day of
school...the library won't be ready until mid-October.  Obviously,  I don't have
materials pulled out of storage that I'd normally use at the beginning of the year.
 My plan for 3rd and 4th grade, and maybe 2nd too, is to take them to our new
computer lab for lessons on internet, databases and our newly upgraded library
software, etc.

 So, my question is:  Does anyone have successful ideas of projects or lessons
you've done by integrating INTO the classroom?  I don't want to spend the 1st 6
weeks of school just "putting in time" with no real purpose (our program includes a
20-30 minute book selection time for all classes and then integrated lessons as
needed).  I guess there's always the possibility of getting books I'd usually use
from another library, but this seemed like a good opportunity to enhance our
integrated library program.  Thanks for your help!
--------------------
THANKS YOU EVERYONE FOR YOUR RESPONSES:
What about meeting with the teachers, finding out what they are studying in Social
Studies, Language Arts, etc. and seeing if you can find a novel to match, reading
aloud to each of the grade levels? It would mean reading the same thing over for
each class but the kids would get to hear a novel. Or, it could even introducing a
new novel or Newbery book.

What about some picture books? (I realize that you are a bit short on materials.)
Create a grade level lesson for a book, go into the classroom, read the book and do
a lesson with it such as writing or analyzing story structure? I have had the best
luck with that approach with all levels from PreK-5.

I think your plans for using the computer lab is a great one and maybe you could
tie in some writing in the lab based on a picture book you read to the class.

What about using a nonfiction book, introduce the attributes of it (index,
glossary, pictures, captions, etc.) and then having older students do research
online to create their own short,  nonfiction book for the younger grades. You
might be able to combine the two classes and have the older students 'read' their
book to the younger.

Those are just some thoughts that came instantly to mind. In my case, the PreK kids
do not start using the library until after Thanksgiving so I go to them, reading or
telling stories, etc.
-----------------
This would be a great time to do readers theater.  You could get books on it, or
make your own scripts, from books at the public library.  Or check Aaron Shepard's
web site.

If they have dictionaries in the classroom, you could work with them.  Any
worksheets or puzzles on ABC order, note taking...
--------------------
Carole Gundrum lesson plans on mikids.com would probably work nicely. They
integrate technology into the library curriculum. I purchased her cd of lesson
plans and can't wait until she releases a new one!
--------------------
Once you know what the kids are going to be studying in classrooms, create some
lessons on searches related to those subjects. And/or compare nonfiction with
fiction related to those subjects. I hope that I understood your question and have
given an idea or 2 that would be useful. You could also share how to find info
related to content in your online resources and then connect to non fiction books.
Model and teach kids how to extract useful info from books and online texts. This
can all be done in the lab and kids could practice taking notes  with the computer.
------------------
Susan- this was addressed last year some time -see if it is in the archives, but
the meat of the discussion was this- bring books on a cart- show videos, set up
centers with reading games and skills- go to Target and k-mart and find
"AURTHOR"and CLIFFORD puzzles and games- get some bigger puzzles for bigger kids-
play ABCgames( I am taking an apple, a bear, a carrige, to granndma's house) teach
card games and Charades, using book titles and genres, etc. Also ,people suggested
this Game- start a story -make it wild- throw it to a child- have them add a line
or two - make it very fast- we call this the line game, because we usually play it
while in line for pick-up, but also because it is one line at a time.good luck
-------------------
I had this same situation but it lasted a year (construction always runs over so be
prepared)...

I took this opportunity to read the chapter books that I would not have time to
read if I were doing library skills, checking out books etc..I also took a book
truck along with me so the kids could have some books for the week.
-------------------
How about reading your state's book award books with the classes in cooperation
with the teacher? In Ohio, we can vote on computer so that is a nice use of
technology, too.
-----------------------
I have a colleague in your exact same position.  She has decided to do an online
almanac lesson with her 4th and 5th graders.  An online encyclopedia lesson (using
guide words is like using keywords) with 3rd grade and she wants to use Enchanted
Learning with 1st and 2nd grade to do animal projects.
Hope that helps.  Good luck.

Susan Hanlon
K-4 Librarian
Northwestern Elementary School