Here is my original post and the responses.  Thanks to everyone who
responded.  LMNet is a great resource for all of us.  I tried BrainPop
today with a 2nd grade for an intro to a mini-research project on
insects.  We saw the ants video, did the quiz, talked about it all, had
fun and it was a great intro. to finding "facts" .  The kids loved it.

ORIGINAL POST:
Hello,
Do any of you use BrainPop in your library?  Our district has just
subscribed and I'd like some information about it from librarians.  Thanks.

Mary Niedenfuhr, LMS
Hughes School
Berkeley Heights, NJ
mniedenfuhr@comcast.net

****************************
****************************

Our school subscribes, and I like it quite a bit. I use several of the
segments in my library classes.  I like Brainpop Jr too.

I looked into this for next year, as I will be the Librarian for grades
4-8, and the database collection is minimal.  After spending alot of
time previewing databases, I thought this was too manic for our
students, and I personally found it annoying in its layout.  I know
other schools where they do use it...I think you should ask for a free
preview.

Our teachers and kids love it.  The teachers use it as a full class

activity.  I do not use it in the library - maybe I should!

I've used it a couple of times. There's something about reading different

types of books and I used a video about Harry Potter. The kids seem to

like the videos and post-tests quite a bit. You will find several videos

you can use. Also, look at BrainPopJr., if you are getting that too...

We have subscribed to Brain Pop and Brain Pop Jr. for a couple of years now and the
teachers really use it.  They mostly use it in the computer lab with their
students.  They say that some of the videos go exactly with the content they are
teaching!  Some teachers have their students watch the videos and then take the
quiz--either together or some do it individually as an assessment.

One good thing about it is the variety of topics.  We had the students watch the
handwashing video during cold and flu season, and there was even one on lice that
the nurse sometimes has classes watch.  Not what you would typically think of, but
very useful.

We use BrainPop and BrainPop Jr in LIbrary frequently, and we also have
it one the desktops of the computer sin the computer lab.  Students and
teachers access it there, to reinforce lessons and just for fun!

I find that the students with difficulties appreciate the
straightforward presentation of information in the videos, and they love
playing games in BrainPop Jr. on the SmartBoard.   We are still trying
to get the teachers to use it more in the classrooms, especially once
they all get SmartBoards next year!

I don't use BrainPop very much in my own teaching, but our science
teachers use it extensively.  So when I helped introduce a "body"
project for 6th graders, we did go into BrainPop as they would be using
it extensively along with a cartfull of books.

Many 4th, 5th and 6th graders use it on their own, and it's especially
nice now that the subscription includes after-school hours.
Our uppper school special needs teacher was also excited to learn of its
LA pages for writing and grammar.

Next year when I have a smart board I may well use it more.

Our school district gets it.  Students and the teachers who use it like it.

I used it for some science lessons a few years back when it was 4150 for a
subscription. Now it's astronomical.

There's a Brainpop Jr. , too.

It's a great program.  It is geared for the younger grades, but it has a
lesson on plagiarism.  All the lessons include a video, a quiz, and
other resources for your topic.  I think you will like it.  It's great
way for teachers to incorporate technology into their lessons.

I use BrainPop - mostly the research and computer related videos, the
poetry ones. I use them primarily with 5th & 6th graders - they really
enjoy them!

I haven't explored the actual program very much, although what I did

view was high interest and helpful, but the teachers in my school love

it like nothing I have ever seen.  I talked the school into

unitedstreaming from Discovery, which I LOVE and someone else ordered

Brainpop at the same time.  But the next year when it ran out they

assumed I had ordered Brainpop, too, and teachers came up to me

constantly until I did start getting it reordered and then this year it

was assumed.  Anything techie that teachers will use I am will promote.

They all said they NEED it and use it all the time.