I do not use Follett so what I say may have nothing to do with the problems
being described, "having books checked in but still showing checked out".

But this same question has come up in our system. Sometimes the answer is
that the person running the circulation station doesn't look at the screen,
hears a beep and assumes all is well. In fact I have done that myself, only
to find myself going back over a stack because I didn't watch the screen.
Back when our system had a different beep I would catch the tech or a teach
not listening or looking at the screen.

Also, some of my collegues like to use a day old database on the school
network for the OPAC and classrooms. When someone says that the program
isn't keeping the data, the problem almost always is that they have the
wrong database open. The tech or volunteer is linked to the old database not
the "live" database.

Lastly, I can print a report of items showing as out, sorted by call number
and showing who has the item. At the end of the year I print this report,
then go check the shelves for those items. Otherwise I check the shelf only
when the student comes in and believes they have turned in the book.

HOpe this is of some help.

Deborah Stafford
Gen. H.H. Arnold High School
Wiesbaden, Germany