I got some requests for a hit.

Here's my original question:

        Some kids brought me In the Night Kitchen and said, there's something
        inappropriate here.  This has only happened a couple of times
in my twelve
        years here, so I haven't thought much about it.  I said, well, if it
        bothers you, then you aren't old enough for that book.  I
don't know that
        that would be accepted by an irate parent.  How do you handle
this?  Or do
        you not get any objections to it?

Several said they had drawn shorts on the boy.

One recommends having the rave reviews ready if someone complains.

One has pulled the book from the collection.

I liked this one - "I've used my own copy with demo on growing yeast
and bread dough.  The students each got a piece of dough to knead.
The custodians hated the lesson but the students loved it.  The bread
dough excitement went home not comments on pictures."

"I use In The Night Kitchen as an example during Banned Book Week for
K-5 students.  I actually cut out little shorts and Scotch tape them
on the "inappropriate" pictures.  I teach them the word expurgate.  I
also tell them why Maurice Sendak did not put clothes on Mickey.  The
shorts
are removed after Banned Book week...the book is placed back on the
shelf...my two copies then circulate and are checked out for weeks.
I have never gotten any complaints."

"I always ask why?  they say because he is naked, to which I reply
and your never naked. Why do you think it is bad? It only becomes
inappropriate when you think of it that way. What is in your mind/
head that makes it a bad book?  He is just a little boy having a
dream and he is naked. I know it is banned in some school, but really
just like the book "No, David" it is only the bad thoughts or ideas
they have in their heads.  Usually it stops there, and I say
something like  if it offends you than don't take the book out ,
other children don't look at it the way you do.  I haven't ever had
an irate parent so don't worry until it happens.. I have a copy in my
library too..."

And this is my favorite, the one I'm going to use the next time a
child brings it up:
It gives you a teaching moment.  Sendak once said that when he showed
children pictures of Micky in pajamas, they all pointed out that he
would mess up his clothes when he falls in the milk and might get in
trouble.  Find out what they think is inappropriate.  Ask if they
take a bath with clothes on. Tell them the story about the
illustrator and ask them what they would do in his place.  I bet you
deflate any problems.

--
Johanna Halbeisen, Library Media Teacher
Woodland Elementary School (K-4)