The Readers' Guide is alive and well.  I would not be without the print
version.  I subscribe to the unabridged version and it is used heavily for
research.  I keep back issues of periodicals for five years and keep five
years of Readers' Guide on the shelf.  Students like the hands-on looking at
"old" magazines.  Periodical databases may be the "greatest thing since
sliced bread" but I still believe nothing replaces holding the material in
your hand and finding related material possibly in the same issue just
because it's there and you can look through it.  Don't get me wrong, I do
use the databases.  I cannot afford to subscribe to all the periodicals that
the databases have.  However, I have had occasions where a student has found
a citation for an article in the Readers' Guide and then plugged that
information into an advanced search in the database and found the material.
This same material did not come up in a results list that student had done
previously.  One more reason to teach/use Readers' Guide - the two statewide
tests that we give students in Language Arts and Reading have questions
about understanding citations from the Readers' Guide.  We don't "teach to
the test" but I feel it is better to teach the information they need for the
years when they are not in your building anymore.  Not all libraries have
databases that are so easily searched.  While it is fun to jump on the
bandwagon of newer technology and get rid of old library standbys, I don't
believe the Readers' Guide falls into this category.

"Your success in the end will eclipse honest mistakes along the way."

Beth Greff, Librarian
Mandan Jr. High School
406 4th St. NW
Mandan, N.D. 58554