Okay, in re-reading I realize that I didn't really address Jeff's specific issue.
In defending Mad magazine, I would point to the falling reading scores of boys.
Irreverent is part of the appeal. Nice doesn't cut it. In order to "get" the jokes
in Mad a kid has to be up on popular culture and current events. Reading is
reading. I applaud you selecting and providing Mad for your students. Perhaps it is
time to present to faculty about the importance of providing this kind of high
interest material to our students. Lisa

Lisa Von Drasek
Children's Librarian
Bank Street College of Education
School for Children Pre-K- 8
610 West 112th St
NY  NY   10025

lisav@bnkst.edu

212 875 4452

>>> Lisa Von Drasek 03/08/08 8:01 AM >>>
It's just part of being a librarian defending material when people are slapping it
on the desk in front of you demanding you array your professional credentials. Just
this week I had a grad student waving comics in front of me that a tween she was
tutoring "found" in the library. Now we are open from 9:00 am  to 9:00 pm. That
particular day because of Science Expo, I was there from 8:00 am and it was now
6:30 no breaks- sigh. Did you know you had these in the library?!!! Yes. What are
you going to do about it?!! I am sorry you are not fond of super hero comics. Yes
they can be violent. These are donated to our library by parents in our school. We
leave them out for free reading time and afterschool clubs. They usually reside
over here. We believe that high interest reading material while not everyones taste
is important to have available.  (I did think it was time to go home.) Deep
breaths.