Excellent response, Dawn

Elizabeth Woods, Librarian
Pulaski Elementary School
Pulaski, NY  13142
ewoods@pacs.cnyric.org

"For some students, their only safe haven is your classroom; their only
sanity is during the school day;
their only warmth is your caring."
                               Anonymous
>>> Dawn Sardes <yayagoddess@SBCGLOBAL.NET> 03/09/08 10:47 PM >>>
I'm not sure that I understand your question, but I'm assuming that this
parent does not believe that ANY resources about religion belongs in the
school.

So...here's what I'd say to that:

Mrs. Smith, we have students here who come from a variety of religious
and spiritual backgrounds. The 200's encompasses all religions, not just
Christianity.

The understanding of world religions is necessary to educate children
about the history of our own country, the reasons behind wars and other
historical events throughout the ages, indeed even the development of
civilization itself.

Additionally, students have the right to see the facets of life that are
important to THEM in their library and to have resources available to
them to help answer any questions they have, even if those questions
happen to be about religion--their own or any other.

That is why we have books on religions in our school library.  Because
they contain information that our students need to better understand the
world they are going to have to live in.

DawnMarie Sardes
Teen Services Librarian
Elclid Public Library
yayagoddess@sbcglobal.net.omit.this
Check out my Harry Potter Fan Fiction at:
http://www.harrypotterfanfiction.com/viewuser.php?showuid=85308