Selecting material for young adults is a bit difficult, with disagreement on what
constitutes appropriate material for the young adult, and what age 'young adult'
means. Knowing many senior English classes read some rather difficult Native
fiction, I'm thinking these two poets may have poems high school English teachers
may want to take a look at...

The two are Eric Gansworth and Hershman John. I wrote about both this past week.
Their roots are, interestingly, at two ends of the country--but not quite.
Gansworth is Onondaga, from the Tuscarora Reservation, and John (Hershman is his
first name) is Navajo, from the Navajo Reservation.

Also last week, one of my favorite books, WHEN THE SHADBUSH BLOOMS, was selected as
a Children's Choice finalist! Hurray!

Anne Rockwell read my blog this past week, and posted to a couple of different
items. One was my critique of her book, THANKSGIVING DAY. In an effort to help her
see what I see when I read her book, I responded to her comments by referencing a
Marc Aronson's column in School Library Journal.

Here's what I've written about in the past week. Instructions for getting to my
page are below, in my signature line. Have a great week, and please pass this email
along to anyone who works with children and books.

Thanks!
Debbie

Updates to American Indians in Children's Literature:

Monday, March 24, 2008
Carla Messenger's WHEN THE SHADBUSH BLOOMS

Tuesday, March 25, 2008
WordCraft Circle Awards
--Native organization's awards for the past two years

Wednesday, March 26, 2008
Anne Rockwell and Marc Aronson

Friday, March 28, 2008
Eric Gansworth's poem, "Loving That Land O'Lakes Maiden"

Sunday, March 30, 2008
Hershman John's I SWALLOW TURQUOISE FOR COURAGE

_______________________________

Debbie A. Reese, (Nanbé Ówîngeh)
Assistant Professor
American Indian Studies
1206 West Nevada
Urbana, IL 61801

Email: debreese@uiuc.edu

Internet Resource & Blog: American Indians in Children's Literature, located at
http://americanindiansinchildrensliterature.blogspot.com

UIUC's Native American House http://www.nah.uiuc.edu
TEL 217-265-9870
FAX 217-265-9880