Sarah,

If everyone knew enough about Native people, I
could agree with you that it is not important.
However, that is not the case, and people just
read the Native content thinking it is all correct.

Please do read the article in the NY
Times...  Read what the Tlingit people said about
the actual incident. The things we give children
to read have context and ramifications for the well being of all people.

I think a rule of thumb might be..... Imagine
giving TOUCHING SPIRIT BEAR (or whatever book
under consideration) to a Tlingit (tribe the book
content is about) child to read. Or, imagine
reading it aloud to a Tlingit child. If you're
uncomfortable with the thought, then maybe it shouldn't be read to anyone.

Or, what about turning in the reading of the book
into a critical literacy lesson? Have the
students read the NY Times article. It will
definitely teach them that the printed word is fallible...

Debbie