From: School Library Media & Network Communications
[mailto:LM_NET@LISTSERV.SYR.EDU] On Behalf Of ladewig
Sent: Wednesday, May 28, 2008 6:01 PM
To: LM_NET@LISTSERV.SYR.EDU
Subject: Re: Stamping page 51 - what good does it do?

RE - stamping a "secret" page with the library stamp: I don't bother doing
this. If a book is missing its cover(s) and can't be identified it's not a
book I want to keep anyway. Seems like a waste of time to me. I stamp the
inside front and back covers, and flyleaf. I have my vendor place an extra
barcode on the verso. Any student who turned in PART of a book would have to
pay to replace the entire book anyway.

Am I missing something?

In 20 years the only book purposefully defaced (because it was stolen, and
found in the student's desk) had the spine label, flyleaf and back cover
barcode removed. We checked the verso, and there was the spare barcode, so
we knew it was our book. If your vendor won't provide an additional barcode
or number sequence label, just write the barcode # in red ink on the verso.
Student volunteers can easily do this (if you want it done).

Joanne Ladewig  (A.K.A. "Library Lady")

Library Media Tech

Lawrence Elementary, GGUSD

Garden Grove, California

shatz@verizon.net

Comments are my own and may not represent the views of GGUSD