Dear all,

Thank you so much for all your responses. You've been so helpful!
Here's my original query, with your responses pasted below. Many
thanks, again!:

I'm making a change next year from High School to Elementary School
-- a big leap for me. Elementary school librarians, would you please
share with me your sure-fire titles and/or series BY GRADE? Right now
I'm in a joint Middle-High School, so I'm a little bit familiar with
5th grade popular reading. I'm most in the dark about what to give
K-4...

I have consulted the awards lists. I'm just trying to figure out the
must-haves to know about for the younger set. What are they reading
now? What do they love? What do you love to give them? Thank you so
much!

And I will post a hit.

Sincerely,

Mary Katherine Akers
High School Librarian
Rowley Library
University of Chicago Laboratory Schools
Chicago, IL 60637

I Spy series all levels
Eyewitness series gr. 3
Magic Tree House gr. 1-3 (even Ks if their reading level is high)
Goosebumps (for gr. 3)
Main Street (Ann Martin) (gr. 2-3)
A to Z Mysteries (gr. 1-3)

You have to consider the Babymouse series of graphic novels by
Jennifer and Matt Holm. They are very popular at my school right from
K up to 5. Hilarious black and white and pink illustrations.

By far the most popular series for me this year for third and fourth
grades are the My Weird School books by Dan Gutman. There are about
21 of them now and I have two copies of several of them. I still
ended the year with about 10 - 15 names on each reserve list. They
are short chapter books with AR reading levels about 3.6 - 4.5. I
haven't read one yet, but the children love them. Hope you enjoy the
move. I love it here.

First authors:

Mo Willems. Knuffle Bunny, Pigeon, and his Elephant and Piggy easy
readers are the best. The kids love them.
Kevin Henkes, everything
The Stevens sisters, Janet and Susan Stevens Crummel. Fantastic read
alouds, especially The Great Fuzz Frenzy
Margie Palatini, especially The Three Silly Billies and Mary Had a
Little Ham and Piggie Pie
Numeroff's If you give a ...books
Lane Smith's John, Paul George and Ben; The Happy Hocky Family;
Pinocchio, the Boy
Doreen Cronin's Duck for President, Click, Clack Moo; her Diary of a
Spider/ Worm/ Fly books
Saxton Freymann's "food" books, like How are You Peeling; Foods with
Moods and Dog Food, et al
Herschel and the Hannukah Goblins by Eric Kimmel - also his "Anansi"
books
Jan Brett's books
Anything illustrated by David Catrow, like I Wanna Iguana or Stand
Tall Molly Lou Melon
The Recess Queen
Odd Velvet
Ian Falconer's Olivia books
Melinda Long's How I Became a Pirate and its sequel, Pirates Don't
Change Diapers
David Shannon's books, No David, David Goes to School and Duck on a
bike (he illustrated the Pirate books as well)

Series:
Amelia Bedelia
Magic Tree House
Dear Dumb Diary and Franny K. Stein series by Benton
Babymouse by the Holms - they are never on the shelf.
Buzz Beaker graphic novels.
Geronimo Stilton
Dan Gutman's My Weird School series
Spiderwick Chronicles and the spinoff
Junie B. Jones by Barbara Park, also her individual titles like
Skinnybones
Clementine books by Sara Pennypacker
Judy Moody and Stink books by Megan MacDonald
Rhea Perlman's Otto Undercover books
The Barnstormers series
Time Warp Trio by Sciescka and Smith (also out in graphic novel format)
Kate DiCamillo's Mercy Watson books

My most popular series with 3rd graders is Geronimo Stilton. It's fun
reading and great for reluctant readers as well.

Magic Tree House and Junie B Jones are two big favorites. Some of my
better readers like Hank the Cowdog and Matt Christopher. American
Girl are always popular so are Hello America and Dear America.
Captain Underpants is also a very popular series. Spiderwick, Lion,
Witch and the Wardrobe and Series of Unfortunate events are popular
because of the movies.

Do you want picture book titles too? We have the obvious -
Curious George
Clifford
Arthur
Mercer Mayer - Little Critter
Dr. Seuss
Angelina Ballerina
Amelia Bedelia
Eric Carle

Take a look at the "most popular lists" along the top of this page.  Set
criteria to the lower grades and see what is being read.  State lists
are
also a good indication of what is being read.

http://www.quizlistinteractive.com/AcceleratedReader_BookLists.aspx

Junie B Jones
Judy Moody
Ivy and Bean
Melvin Beederman
Shredderman
Katie Kazoo
Any Star Wars title
A-Z Mysteries
Bailey School Kids
Secrets of Droon
Unfortunately: Goosebumps. Spongebob, Scooby Doo,
Babymouse
Garfield cartoon books
Spiderwick Chronicles
Geronimo Stilton
Captain Underpants
Ricky Ricotta
Mo Willems’ Elephant and Piggie beginning readers ;)
Biscuit beginning readers
Frog and Toad books

Some great recent individual titles I love:

Penderwicks
Mysterious Benedict Society
Invention of Hugo Cabret
Knuffle Bunny
Fancy Nancy
No, David!
Dad, Jackie and Me

I have a very mixed population of students. I have 5th graders reading
Junie B. and Magic Tree House.

Approximate Grades

2nd-3rd:
Black Lagoon Adventures
Shredderman
Fairy Realm
Clementine
Ready Freddy
Katie Kazoo
Ivy & Bean
Amber Brown
Secrets of Droon
Time Warp Trio
Maximum Boy
Andrew Lost
Olivia Sharp
Mostly Ghostly (not the best literature but the kids love them!)
Ricky Ricotta's Mighty Robot (ditto)

4th-5th:
Rowan of Rin
Charlie Bone
Emily Windsnap
Hank Zipper
Franny K Stein
The Sisters Grimm
Spy Gear
Percy Jackson & the Olympians
The Edge Chronicles
Disney Fairies

These are the most popular series in my library. They are rarely on the
shelf.

Anything by Denys Cazett

Captain Underpants
Junie B. Jones