 Wow! I received 18 posts within a day. You guys are amazing. Thank you very much.
Most people referred me to his website where it's "dePaola". There were some who
knew him or worked with him and they also say it's dePaola. There were a few who
referred me to the LOC 100 field where it's De Paola. So there you have it! :) ...
I'm going with dePaola.
   By the way, someone asked me about pronounciation... I always get that from
teachingbooks.net.

Here are the posts:
Tomie is a friend of mine and I am sure he would appreciate the fact that you care
about spelling his name correctly. His name is spelled “Tomie dePaola.” Here is
his website http://www.tomie.com.
 checkout his website at http://www.tomie.com/main.html
We have quite a few materials in our database from Tomie and they all say dePaola.
Here are the fields from the OCLC Authority File with the 100 being the authorized
version and the others being variants.
100 De Paola, Tomie
400 De Paolo, Tomie
400 De Paola, Thomas Anthony ǂw nna
400 Paola, Tomie de
400 Paolo, Tomie de
400 DePaola, Tomie
 I just posted something similar for the author Diane deGroat a few weeks back.  I
went on-line to his website, and he has his name spelled like this:

Tomie dePaola

This is how I have mine cataloged (I noticed a few years ago that like yours, mine
were in the system under different spellings).  I e-mailed Diane deGroat after
looking at her website to confirm her spelling.  Said she had never been asked that
before.  She said she likes a "half-space" between de & Groat, but generally she
prints it deGroat.  I have several books by her, and the CIP information, the
printing on the titles, etc. all look different!  A couple did look like a
half-space...I noticed it before she said anything...but I knew it wasn't a full
space and thought they were trying to cover up any mistakes...ha...

Per the Library of Congress authority files [available at
<http://authorities.loc.gov/>]:

100     1_ |a De Paola, Tomie
[this is the authorized form of the name]

He told me once that it's dePaola.

Lori Willey, Librarian
A.J. Smith & Cayuga Elementary
Union Springs, NY