Dear Ed
This is definitely NOT off-topic.

Someone posted this link to another list I belong to, in the context of a
discussion about some
administrators making decisions to replace the non fiction section of the high
school library with
computer labs. I think it is misleading and does neither us or our students any
favours.  For those
who haven't read it, there is more at http://www.dumbestgeneration.com/
(Interesting that someone
slamming the impact of the digital age uses that medium to promote his work! -
"Cyberculture is
turning us into a nation of know-nothings")

What we need to be doing is being very loud and vocal AGAINST this sort of rubbish.
 We need to
demonstrate that we, as educators, know how humans learn and shouting that it is
not WHAT you know
(or don't) but knowing HOW to find out if you need to.  The access to all things
digital means that
a lot more can find out if they choose/ need to and because of information literacy
programs
starting in kindergarten, the majority of kids will have the skills they need to do
so.  Five years
ago, it was estimated that by the time today's kindergarten students leave Year 12,
all that is
currently known in the world will have increased 16-fold.
http://www2.sims.berkeley.edu/research/projects/how-much-info-2003/  So, should we
be teaching our
students WHAT, or HOW?

Common sense tells us that to compare generations is a foolish thing to do for a
zillion reasons.
But rather than have headlines such as "50 Million Minds Diverted, Distracted
Devoured" we should be
celebrating that we have a generation who have achieved so much for humanity,
because of their life
in the digital age.  And they achieve it because at the core, they have teacher
librarians, LMS and
classroom teachers working together in partnerships to emphasise the concept over
the content, and
the process over the product..

THAT is the message we need to get people like Mark Bauerlein to hear!!! I have
sent a copy of this
email to him (mailto:engmb@emory.edu) and it would be good if we all did.  It seems
to be the way of
the world that the work and words of college/university professors are seen as
somehow better/more
truthful/.more authoritative than a high school teacher, who in turn is better than
a primary school
teacher and that's just nonsense!! "If it comes from a college professor it must be
true" has as
much validation as "If it is on the Internet then it must be garbage."  We need to
get
college/university professors to understand that educators have long since moved
away from the
concept that students are empty vessels waiting to be filled with facts and figures
and that they,
and only they, are the keepers of that knowledge. (and having worked in the
tertiary environment,
that remains such a prevalent attitude). If I had written this book, as a K-2
teacher for 25 years
got world wide publicity?

Meanwhile, in answer to the points you quoted ...
Firstly I would be very happy if this generation has had no experience of  "a sign
over a theater
door reading COLORED ENTRANCE."  That shows huge progress  albeit there is still
far to go for
indigenous peoples around the world.

Many of us know about WWII because we have family connections with it because we
are of that age,
but for 50 years or more, Russia WAS the US enemy and Germany, Japan and Italy
allies so I can see
how that answer could be offered.

I have no idea who William Rehnquist is, and only a vague idea who Dick Cheney
might be, so that's
not dumb, that's just perspective, experience and interest.  There could be many
candidates for the
"world's most heavily defended border" . We see an awful lot of footage here about
the defence of
the US-Mexican border; my first choice would be Israel on the Gaza Strip (there was
an item on the
news about Palestinians having to dig tunnels underground so they can cross the
border to get fuel
for their cars, and there are rumours that gases are pumped into those tunnels by
the Israelis}; yet
a search says that it is the South/North Korean border. (Bless you, Google.  I was
able to find out
in a flash!)

And I don't even understand "We doubt that the 30 percent were boastful or
delusional Minutemen"!

"So what if anything can be done about it?"  I say CELEBRATE and keep on doing what
we are doing.
For those who spend time on social networking are building relationships,
understanding a wider
range of people and perspectives, seeing a broader world than that which they are
physically
connected to, developing compassion and empathy and resilience - and that has to be
good for the
world's future.

Barbara

Barbara