ORIGINAL question:

Has anyone done a coyote unit and lessons from a science slant (the animal)
to a folklore slant ( trickster tale) or  even social studies ( desert/
Native American)  OR a merger of ball three? I am looking for lesson plans,
worksheets, activities.  Any resources are appreciated. I looked in the lm
net archives but didn't locate anything.  One idea is a graphic organizer to
research wolves. I want to stress the animal and folklore: trickster, but
other ideas are welcomed, too.
I am at the elementary level targeting 2nd-3rd grades for this unit.  I have
checked the internet via a search engine and located very few lessons plus
lesson plans sites...unless I overlooked one. So I have explored on my own
before asking.

 .

thank you !

Robert Joyce
Virginia---Pittsylvania County
rajoyce59@verizon.net

REPLIES: thanks to ALL people who replied:

There Was a Coyote Who Swallowed a Flea
by Jennifer Ward
illustrated by Steve Gray

http://www.jenniferwardbooks.com/Tools%20Coyote.pdf

http://www.jenniferwardbooks.com/Microsoft%20Word%20-%20COYOTE%20Discussion%20Guide.pdf

http://www.desertusa.com/june96/du_cycot.html

http://animals.nationalgeographic.com/animals/mammals/coyote.html
hear a coyote

The Coyote FAQ
http://www.desertusa.com/june96/cycot_qa.html

Also, information on coyote research is available from the National Wildlife
Research Center's Web site at www.aphis.usda.gov/ws/nwrc

http://www.americanfolklore.net/tricksters.html

Lesson :
http://wwwamphi.com/~tlcf/schaefer/web2/wclesson.htm

  a Tony Johnston author study with   second grade Media classes.  The Tale
of Rabbit and Coyote is a cute story.  However, the coyote is the tricked
not the trickster.  Tony Johnston has several trickster stories if you are
looking for something along those lines.    do an activity where the
students have a picture of a rabbit shape in the moon and they have to write
about what they would do if they were a rabbit in the moon.

Couple of instructional resources aligned on LEARN NC that may be useful:
http://www.learnnc.org/lp/external/EDSITEment11202002956

http://www.learnnc.org/lp/external/EDSITEment11202002738

Also, this collection guide
http://www.learnnc.org/lp/pages/4081

Excellent fact sheets about animals including the coyote
http://www.learnnc.org/lp/external/hinterland

www.thinkfinity.com
 and search coyote K-2 lessons, instead of 3-5.
9 related lesson plans.
retell the story of Senor Coyote and the Cheese from the
point of view of either the rabbit, the coyote or a journalist reporting the
event. This
was then illustrated with yarn pictures.

They found putting themselves into the role of a character and having to
tell it as a personal
narrative quite a challenge!

 the story at
http://accelerateu.org/assessments/1998EnglishSamplerTest/SenorCoyote.htm

although the rabbit plays the trick on the coyote.
coyote lesson is part of a series of lessons on NA culture. I begin
with an overhead transparency of Navajo sand art, petroglyphs and study
prints, tying art to environment or art to religion. (I suppose you
could use an interactive white board.) use Janet Stevens and Gerald
McDermott (both have great picturebook versions) Coyote stories.
then talk about how coyote appears even today in our modern culture as a
trickster using a Warner Brothers figure given to me by a co-worker.
end by performing "Coyote and the Meatball" as a sand story, using  an
old lucite box frame filled with corn meal  on  my overhead projector.
I place the projector on the floor and the students can see the light
shining up  through the sand.  Then of course, they
all want to play in the sand...right?  Great lead in to another lesson...

The next lesson could be an art/social studies lesson on sand paintings
or petrogylphs and Native American spiritual beliefs.

Or an art/science lesson on  pueblos and anasazi dwellings, talking
about architecture/homes and how they use materials from the environment
or how they are behavioral adaptations of humans to the environment in
terms of protection and shelter.

Or, if you use Janet Stevens book, you could do an art lesson on rug or
tapestry weaving and Navajo blankets.

http://edsitement.neh.gov/view_lesson_plan.asp?id=380

http://edsitement.neh.gov/view_lesson_plan.asp?id=377

http://www.readingrockets.org/articles/books/c364

http://www.sdcoe.k12.ca.us/score/borr/borrtg.html

http://www.idahohistory.net/prospector_nov03.pdf

http://www.nwf.org/kidZone/kzPage.cfm?siteId=3&departmentId=107&articleID=185&guideStartRow=31&cat=ma&guideAction=species&species_id=3898

http://kids.nationalgeographic.com/Animals/CreatureFeature/Coyote

http://animals.nationalgeographic.com/animals/mammals/coyote.html

Borreguita and the Coyote by Verna Aardema.
DVD "Anansi the Spider" You could show DVD or read a story and ask "Science"
related questions.

read the classic Three Little Pigs and the compare it with The Three Little
Javelinas.   read How Coyote Placed the Stars and then have the students
create their own constellation on black construction paper with gold stars
(I limit them to 5) and they draw in the picture with gold metallic pens.
Bierhorst has written Doctor Coyote which is a group of fables. Students
could then write their own fable.   do a trickster unit in which is use
Gerald McDermott's coyote, which is a very good story. Use  Ellison die cut
machine and the butterfly bookmark, if cut out in gray paper, looks like
coyote's head. The kids draw in the features