This is from An Na's website.  It muddies the water even further due to
differences in what Koreans consider first and last names compared to
what Americans consider first and last names.  Perhaps that's why the
Library of Congress is as confused as we are?  However, everywhere I see
her name, including her own website, it appears that An is her first
name and Na is her last name - at least in America.  So, wouldn't NA
would be correct in an American library?

I don't know if anyone has gotten back to you, but here is the link to
the Library of Congress authority record: http://tinyurl.com/6l7863
There is another person who has the authority of
http://tinyurl.com/6b3h86
The individual cataloger might be getting them mixed up. The LC
Authority File is the current national collection of authorities and
where we should look first to get the names correct.

The best source for name authorities is the LCSH Authorities site <
http://authorities.loc.gov/>. They give "Na, An, 1972-" as the heading
for this author <
http://authorities.loc.gov/cgibin/Pwebrecon.cgi?AuthRecID=5099198&v1=1&H
C=1&SEQ=20081112121831&PID=Rq4KuN468I5cJOg8kjvEKWuVFWLpY>. It's
confusing because most Chinese authors put the surname as the first name
and obviously An Na doesn't follow this pattern. An Na is actually
Korean and grew up in the U.S. so his name is like a typical Western
name. Therefore, the correct placement of the author's books would be in
the "N" section of the fiction collection. Just because a book comes
with record which uses the wrong name is not a justification for
misfiling it. That's why one has to look at the record and change it as
necessary.

Her given name is 'Na'; her surname (family name) is 'An'. For more
clarification, try this website: http://www.anwriting.com/author.html
<http://www.anwriting.com/author.html>

Keith Schroeder

Howard-Suamico School District

Bay Port High School

2710 Lineville Road

Green Bay, WI  54313-7151

keitschr@hssd.k12.wi.us

920-662-7157

Fax: 920-662-7294

Wisconsin Educational Media and Technology Association (WEMTA)

WEMTA President Elect

Discovery Education STAR Educator, Committee Member

"In the nonstop tsunami of global information, librarians provide us
with floaties and teach us how to swim."Linton Weeks (Washington Post
article, 13 January 2001, p. C01)