Dear Jennifer
I am sending this to you and the list because it contains reference to a website
that others may
find useful.

Firstly, in direct response to your question about research about Antarctica for
little ones, you
might be able to find something of value from a unit of work I have written for Yrs
2-4 based on a
book called 'Antarctica - living in the freezer' by Dr Mark Norman.
http://www.curriculumpress.edu.au/rel/sustainability/the-antarctica-book.php  This
book is an
introduction to the land and ecology of Antarctica so even if you can't source it
there are still
many activities there that might spark your thinking.

Secondly, this book is one of 12 that are featured in the Sustainability strand of
a Curriculum
Corporation initiative called Reading Enriches Learning
http://www.curriculumpress.edu.au/rel/sustainability/index.php   There are six
books for Years 2-4
and six for Years 5-8, which in your language would be about 8- 10 year olds and 11
- 14.

Earlier this year I wrote a series of activities for each book focusing on
sustainability and the
environment.  Even though you might not have the exact title (although you can
purchase these from
the Curric Corp site and your dollar is worth about $A1.40) the books themselves
were a springboard
to a wider exploration of the particular topic so there should be something you can
adapt.  Each
collection of activities has a set of statements about what I thought students
should understand and
value long-term as a result of being engaged in them and most of the activities
have an information
literacy basis because that's how I write.

Use of the site is free, there is no registration or anything like that, and there
are other themes
History, Values, Humour, Responsibility, Identity, and Values.  (I was also
responsible for the
activities for six of the titles in Values.)
http://www.curriculumpress.edu.au/rel/index.php

Barbara

Barbara Braxton
Teacher Librarian