Wow!!! Following are the many replies I received to my request for recommendations
for building a more comprehensive graphic novel collection in my high school
library.
Thank you very much to all who replied.
Katie Hubert
Librarian
Chief Sealth High School @ Boren
5950 Delridge Way SW
Seattle, WA 98106
206.252.8617
kahubert@seattleschools.org

__________________________________
Here is the Booklist Top Graphic Novels for 2007
http://www.booklistonline.com/default.aspx?page=show_product&pid=1911211
2008 YALSA Great Graphic Novels
http://www.ala.org/ala/mgrps/divs/yalsa/booklistsawards/greatgraphicnovelsforteens/08ggnt.cfm
__________________________________
Skim
__________________________________
Ethel & Ernest by Raymond Briggs
__________________________________
Elk's Run by Joshua Hale Fialkov (survivalist community and teens must decide
whether to break from their parents after a murder occurs in the community) for
grades 9-12

Tales From Outer Suburbia by ShaunTan - series of short stories about siblings,
hope, peace, love with quirky sometimes fantasy elements and amazing graphics
suitable for grades 7-12. Table of Contents and preceeding page is in the form of
an envelope with the publisher info as the return address on an envelope and the
postage stamps with the title of the story, illustration for the story and the cost
of the stamp being the page the story starts on - stories sure to linger in the
reader's mind when coupled with the brush or pen and ink drawings. Some collage art
you are compelled to read every word of print on the collage.
__________________________________
Over the summer I read American Born Chinese for a YA lit course and loved it!
School Library Journal included an article this month all about YA graphic novels.
I would get a hold of that because they had a bunch of titles that looked really
interesting.
__________________________________
I work in a suburban high school with a predominantly white middle class population
and initially, I balked at purchasing manga novels because to invest in a series is
expensive. I started like you, with more traditional graphic novels. But, I learned
that when I invested in a manga collection, the readers come. This collection alone
circulated more last year than the entire fiction collection did five years
ago...Crazy, but true!
I also learned that most of your manga readers don't care for the other graphic
novels, so I created a special collection for them and place them in their own
shelving area.
I ran a collection report so that I could rank our series by circulation stats for
you. The number reflects the number of times each book in the series circulated.
So, for Negima there are 16 volumes in the series and each book circulated 12 times
for 192 total circulations for that series.
I also found that these manga readers began to check out more traditional texts too
because they came to the library more often than they did before I started the
manga collection.
It may be more than you need...but here it is... I became a believer.
Deathnote (13)
Negima (12)
Naruto (10)
Hellsing (9)
Chrono Crusade (10)
Tokyo Boys and Girls (8)
Bleach (8)
PhD Fantasy (7)
Gravitation (7)
Chobits (7)
Fruits Basket (7)
Fushigi yugi (7)
Fullmetal Alchemist (6)
Magic Knight Rayearth (6)
Tsubasa (6)
Godchild (5)
Cardcaptor Sakura (5)
Neon Genesis Evangelion (5)
Heaven!!! (5)
Yotsuba (5)
Ranma 1/2 (4)
Warcraft (3)
__________________________________
These are ones that I have, but I am a middle school so some may be too young: The
Hobbit First book in Warriors Series Artemis Fowl book one Nancy Drew Graphic
Novels 9/11 Graphic Novel recount The Bone Series Runaways (popular with my fantasy
kids) Coralline Kingdom Hearts (Spin off of the Disney game) Hardy Boys graphic
novels
__________________________________
I have been putting together a collection of links relevant to Graphic Novels in
school libraries (as part of a publication due out soon). The links are available
here - http://delicious.com/CMIS_EVAL/graphic_novels
__________________________________

It depends on what you consider excellent.  I have collections of manga that fly
off the shelf.  They like Bleach, Tsubaga, Fruits Basket and Naruto.  There is a
nice group from MINX publishing.  I get suggestions from the local comic book
store.   There is a second book in the Aya series called Aya in Yop City.  The
following are the suggested ones from a graphics novel class I took this summer.

These are compiled from contributions from many class members:
W Juliet series
Kindaichi Case Files
Peach Wedding series
The Trojan Horse
Way of the Rat,
Kampung Boy
Robot Dreams
Notes from the WarY,
The Last Man: Unmanned by Brian K. Vaughan
Lament of the Lamb

Auschwitz, P. Croci Harry N. Abrams, Incorporated.
                Auschwitz is a great resource for teaching about the Holocaust.  It
is based on first hand recollections, and provides visual support for scenes that
may be difficult for some to visualize - gas chambers, decomposing bodies, etc.

Jack the Ripper - A Journal of the Whitechapel Murders 1888 - 1889 (ATreasury of
Victorian Murder), R. GearyNantier - Beall - Minoustchine Publishing Inc.
                This GN clearly describes the infamous Jack the Ripper murders, and
introduces the variety of suspects without naming anyone as a prime suspect.  The
illustrations really support students who have difficulty visualizing such a
different time and place.

American Splendor:  Unsung Hero, H. Pekar Dark Horse Comics, Inc.
                This autobiography of Robert McNeill examines a tour of duty during
the Vietnam War, including vivid descriptions of drugs, alcohol abuse, and racial
discrimination.  This primary resource recounts a difficult time in American
history, and enables students to more accurately visualize the circumstances of the
war.

Abouet, M. & Oubrerie, C. (2007). Aya. Montreal, Quebec:  Drawn & Quarterly.
                This book would be good to show the bias in the media towards
sensational stories and not covering stories that would help people understand the
way that people live in other communities. This book could be used in a unit of
other cultures, Africa, social mores.  High school level due to talk of sex.

Akamatsu, K. (1999). A. I. Love You. (Vol. 1). Los Angeles, CA: Toykopop.
                I would suggest this book as part of the collection as a fun read
for reluctant readers.  Artificial intelligence and making your own dream boyfriend
or girlfriend - great stuff.

Arakawa, H. (2002). Fullmetal Alchemist. (Vol. 1). San Francisco, CA:VIZ Media.
LLC.
                There was something about this story that I really liked.  The
search for the sorcerer's stone made me think of Harry Potter and might make it a
good book to introduce graphic novels to the Harry Potter crowd.

Carey M. & Carey, L. (2007). Confessions of a Blabbermouth. New York,NY: DC Comics.
                There are so many issues in the lives of our high school students.
This is a great story for students who are dealing with the adjustments caused by
divorce and inviting new members into your household.

Chantler, S. (2006). Northwest Passage:  Bare-Knuckled Frontier Combat.Portalnd,
OR. Oni Press.
                This book could be useful in a course on colonial America, even
though it is set in Canada.  We have a new course coming up in Military History and
this book would be a good one to recommend to the teacher. This is the third title
in a series that was later publisher together but the entire book was not available.

Eisner, W. (2005). The Plot:  The Secret Story of the Protocols of theElders of
Zion.   New York, NY: W. W. Norton.
                A great addition to units on the Holocaust and World War II it
explains why the citizens of Europe were against the Jews.  It also can be used in
explaining the detrimental effect of propaganda or outright lies.

Fies, B. (2006). Mom's Cancer. New York, NY: Abrams Image.
                This book could be used in a Health unit or as a springboard for
discussing memoirs and the commonality of life experiences.  Since it started as a
web comic it might be a way to encourage some of the budding illustrators in your
school to try their had at their own web comics.

Hosler, J. (2000). Clan Apis. Columbus, OH:  Active Synapse.
                This novel could be used in a biology class as an example of an
insect life cycle.

Kim, D. K. & Hamm, J. (2007). Good As Lily. New York, NY: DC Comics.
                This book could be a great introduction to a classic like Dickens'
A Christmas Carol. It could also be used in a discussion in health class or a child
development class on sibling rivalry.

Mignola, M. & Byrne, J. (1994). Hellboy:  Seed of Destruction. Milwaukie, OR: Dark
Horse Books.
                This book could be used in conjunction with a unit on World War II.
Interest would be high a Hellboy movie comes out this week.

Talbot, B. (1995).  The Tale of One Bad Rat.  Milwaukie, OR:  Dark Horse Comics,
Inc.
                (This is a child abuse story that would likely be another popular
one for a high school collection.)

Gonick, L. & Wheelis, M. (1991).  The Cartoon Guide to Genetics.  New York:
Collins Reference.
                (This is still relevant with its scientific basics laid out in a
humorous fashion.  Helps make the topic more understandable).

Schreiber, E. (2007).  Vampire Kisses:  Blood Relatives.  New York:  Tokyopop.
                Of all the Tokyopop's I read, this one was my favorite:  This black
and white graphic novel accompanies the series of books by Ellen Schreiber.  Raven
is a "goth" girl in a boring town who has always idolized the allure of the vampire
lifestyle.  To her shock, a new boy in town, Alexander, is a vam pire, and becomes
her boyfriend!  Vampire stories are very popular lately, and this graphic novel
should be a successful companion set for a middle or high school library

Anderson, H. (2002). King: Volume 2.  Seattle: Fantagraphics Books.
                Begins with the drama of King's stabbing in 1959 and ends with the
march on Washington in 1963. Contains detailed descriptions of factions and
infighting, the more prosaic workings of the protests, such as arranging for bail
bonds , and King's relationship with Kennedy. Mostly black and white frames lend
drama and emphasize the judicious use of color. Useful for a detailed examination
of the civil rights movement in American history, but some language and nudity
restrict this to a more mature audience, and the sometimes quick switch between
speakers may confuse less able students. Out of Print

Brennan, M. (2000). Electric Girl. San Francisco: Ait/Planetlar.
                Volume one introduces gremlins and one gremlin's interference with
a birth to create Virginia, a girl who conducts electricity. Divided into the
original issues, the storyline moves back and forth between Virginia's early years
and her life now as a university student. Researchers interested in her powers make
life difficult for her, as well as the gremlin Ooleoog, who delights in stirring up
mischief at her expense. Personal favorite: the undead couple that died from
botulism and seek vengeance on a crummy restaurant. Curriculum connections include
creative writing; social issues such as cruelty to animals, business's social
responsibilities, child predators, grant funding for researchers, and an over
dependence on technology; and the science of electricity

Moore, R. (2002). Boneyard. Hong Kong: Nantier, Beall, Minoustchine Publishing Inc.
                In this first volume, Michael Paris inherits a graveyard from his
grandfather, and finds he stands between the townspeople and the sentient denizens
of the "bone yard." Filled with self-depreciating humor, Michael's decision reveals
the Mayor's true devilish character, and heals the rift between townies and
"freaks," however, the ending leaves no doubt that the confrontation will continue
in the next volume. Use this to provoke discussion of discrimination, and perhaps
the tensions between urban planning and progress versus the rights of individual
ownership. Puts a different twist on eminent domain.

Nodelman, J. (2007). Project D.O.A. Hamburg: Tokyopop.
                Volume one introduces Dylan, a scientist who blames himself for
nuclear accident and the death of a team member. His subsequent attempts to create
a Lazarus formula, a serum that creates a symbiosis, makes this team the target of
another unscrupulous scientist. Dylan turns to science fiction novels for answers,
deciding that the fiction is real, and even creates a crash landing over the
Bermuda triangle to find an island where gorillas and amazons guard the large
diamond needed for the team's experiment. Many science connections, but some
language and scantily clad females make this problematic for use in the classroom.

Tomino, Y. (2003). Brain Powered.  Los Angeles: Tokyopop.
                Listed as Manga/Sci-Fi, this series will appeal to fans of
Transformers. In a futuristic world, biological based mechanisms called Grand Chers
and Brain Powered(s) have a symbiotic relationship with humans. Opposing factions
control these two groups of mechanisms, and one of the factions may be responsible
for the earthquakes, tidal waves, and other natural disasters ravaging earth. The
possibility of organic engines and organic radar might be fun to prove/disprove in
organic chemistry class. Black and white illustrations are by Yukiru Sugisaki.

Shigeno, S. (1997). Initial D. Los Angeles: Tokyopop.
                This first volume introduces Iggy and Cole, racing enthusiasts, and
Tak, who is not so wild about racing on Mount Akina. The local club, the Akina
Speed Stars, is challenged by nearby clubs, but a mystery driver enters the mix. By
the end of this first volume, the reader realizes Tak, trained by his father, is
the mysterious driver. The actual race and Tak's first date are left hanging until
volume two. Smoking is depicted often. The many discussions of engine size,
modifications, and makes and models of cars would make this of interest to
Agricultural Mechanics classes, while Driver's Education classes might discuss the
street racing scenes.

Satrapi, M. (2003). Persepolis: The Story of a Childhood. New York: Pantheon Books.

                Satrapi tells the story of her childhood by relating topics that
made changes in her life, starting with the veil. These vignettes frame the telling
of not only the increasing restrictions of the fundamentalists, and the Iran-Iraq
war, but also the history of Iran. The artwork is a bold black and white that often
incorporates imagery, as on page 15, to show the departing souls burnt when the
Shah's police locked the doors to a cinema from the outside. Curriculum connections
include immigration, refugees, civil rights, World History, religions, and imagery
in art. A must have for middle or high school libraries

Reed, G. (2005). Mary Shelley's Frankenstein: the Graphic Novel. New  York: Puffin
Books.
                This version of Frankenstein, adapted by Gary Reed and illustrated
by Frazer Irving, remains true to the original versions, and stresses the irony in
calling the creation a monster when the creator is equally so. The artwork appears
unnecessarily muddy at times, and character's head appear to be pasted on bodies,
which might work for the monster, but not for the other characters. This volume
would still be useful as an accommodation for the romantic period of American
literature, and as an introduction to the beginnings of science fiction and horror
genres. The book concludes with a section o n layout and sketching, and also
parsing the language of the original, which would make it useful for those students
wishing to make their own graphic novel

Hirano, T. and Kakinouchi, N. (2001) Shaolin Sisters, Volume 1. Los Angeles:
Tokyopop.
                Shaolin Sisters combines a quest, martial arts, and mythology as
the White Lotus Clan invade Julin's home, Fighting Fang Hall, and kill her master.
Before dying, her master sets her on a quest to find her sisters, who she will
recognize with the help of mythical, magical bell s. At volume's end, Julin has
found one sister, but must prove herself in combat to her other, older pirate queen
sister, all while dodging continued attacks. Use this with mythology, fantasy and
legends, and for discussing imagery in artwork

Cabot, M. (2007). Avalon High: Coronation. Hamburg: Tokyopop.
                Volume 1: the Merlin Prophecy. Homecoming queen nominee Ellie finds
herself caught between alternative universes, one as a high school sprinter and
homecoming queen nominee, and one as a character in King Arthur's court, with Will,
her present day boyfriend, being King Arthur. Use this to encourage reluctant
reader towards the print novel of the same name, and also as a tie-in to the legend
of Arthur, read in British Literature. illustrated by Jinky Coronado. I LOVED the
Wizard of Oz as a kid (okay, I still do!).  I'm also a sci-fi buff, so this book
was a unique marriage of those interests for me.

Hanff, P.  (2005). Do rothy: Volume I.  Mountain View, CA: Illusive Arts
Entertainment.
                Definitely a modern interpretation of Dorothy Gale's journey
through Oz, this graphic novel will have teenagers falling in love with this
American fairy tale all over again. Dorothy hates Kansas and Aunt Em and Uncle
Henry, so she decides to run away (by hot-wiring Uncle Henry's truck).  The
obligatory cyclone whisks her away to Oz, which appears to be a completely
different planet (including an alien-like Scarecrow and good witch).   This is a
Dorothy that high-schoolers can relate to; she talks and acts like teenagers in
this century (complete with attitude and drug-use).

Pride of Baghdad. B.K.Vaughan. DC Comics.
                Based on a true story about the 2003 bombing of Baghdad, this story
challenges readers to think about freedom and its cost.  Told through the viewpoint
of a group of lions they wonder if freedom or captivity is the better choice.

Notes for a War Story.  Gipi.  First Second.
                This story explores the effects of civil war on three seventeen
year old boys who, for different reasons, are separated from their families.
Survival demands they pull together but certain decisions will drive them apart.

Yossel.  Joe Kubert. ibooks.
                Set in the Warsaw ghetto during the Holocaust, this story offers a
fictionalized account of one boy's struggle to survive.  What sets this story apart
is the boy's involvement in the uprising.

Sandwalk Adventures.  J. Hosler. Active Synapse.
                This gn has a mite living in Darwin's eyebrow making Darwin explain
the concept of evolution.  Thought it might make an interesting introduction to
Darwin in a biology class - a graphic novel approach.

Rostram: Tales from the Shahnameh. B Bahmani. Hyperwerks.
                One in a series of tales taken from the Persian epic Shahnameh.  In
this story we meet Sohrab, who unknowingly kills his own father, Rostam, during a
battle.  If you've read the novel Kite Runner, then you know the author
consistently alludes to this classic struggle between fathers and sons.

Oh My Goddess!  K. Fujishima.  Dark Horse Comics, Inc.
                Nominated for a Tezuka Award,   this gn tells the story of a
college freshman who is given a phone number that puts him in touch with a goddess
who can full any one wish he has.  Surprisingly, because she compliments him he
chooses having her with him always.  He gets his wish, but a lot of trouble as
well.  Very I Dream of Jeannie or Bewitched.

Bone:  Out From Boneville.  J. Smith. Scholastic.
                This adventure involving three cousins,  Fone, Phoney and Smiley
may be more middle than high school reading but I think it follows the classic hero
quest and would lend itself to serious critical analysis.  Let's face it; these
three guys are exiled from Boneville, separated from one another, and spend the
rest of the story trying to find each other so they can find a way to return to
Boneville.  One meets a mythical dragon no one else can see and is helped by a
beautiful girl who is intelligent and supportive. I have the second and I'll
probably read three and four.

Way of the Rat: The Walls of Zhumar.  C. Dixon. CrossGeneration Comics.
                If you've read the Hobbit then you will love this book.  Boon Sai
Hong discovers that the ring he was asked to steal is his destiny and with the help
of a monkey and a mysterious woman he must master they ring and help save the
realm.  Again, some may say it is more middle than high school, but my fifteen year
old son really liked it and I could see an English 9 teacher using it to introduce
a classic fantasy/adventure selection.

The Arrival.  S. Tan.  Arthur A. Levine Books.
                If you've ever wondered what a new country must look like to an
immigrant, then read this book. Told only through finally drawn pictures, the
reader experiences the sense of loss a person must experience when he decides to
leave his homeland and move to a completely foreign country; the sense of
alienation and awe he feels in his adopt homeland; and finally the sense of place
and acceptance when this foreign land is truly his own.  Terrific for use in an
American lit or history classroom.  It can generate so many questions and really
lay the foundation for a unit on immigration.

Drehsler, Debbie    (2001) The Summer of Love, Montreal; Drawn & Quarterly.
                 This book tackles very difficult issues of sexuality for teens and
discusses the issue of learning how to fit into a new community.  Tackles the
pressures young adults feel when faced with moving into a new setting. It shows how
gossip can ruin or damage others lives. The graphics are well developed and the
green coloring gives the novel the appearance of melancholy or foreboding. This
book may not be appropriate for all high school audiences. Appropriate for mature
9th graders and up.

Comat Zone: True Tales of GIs i n Iraq, Karl Zinzmeister, Marvel (2005)
                Zinzmeister is a journalist who spent a month with the 82nd
Airborne and gives a very real account of life for the soldiers in Iraq - including
time on base and in battles. Both the artwork and the accounts of the soldiers are
engaging and put a visual face on the battles we hear about in the news. Suitable
for middle and high school.

Inside Out: Portrait of an Eating Disorder, Nadia Shivack, Simon and Sc huster,
(2007)
                This is an autobiographical story of the author's struggle with
eating disorders. The drawings are almost childlike in a way, but paint a very real
picture of the monstrous struggle with food and body image. I would highly
recommend this book for middle and high school - and would seek to familiarize both
guidance and health teachers with this resource.

Beowulf, Gareth Hinds, Candlewick Press, (1999).
                This version is largely wordless, except for the boxes of text with
the translation of t he poem. It has beautiful artwork that is very, well, graphic.
(Actually, given the subject matter, I don't know if "beautiful" is the word -
perhaps captivating). Written well before the recent movie came out, it would lead
to interesting discussions of comparisons.

Macbeth, the Graphic Novel, Arthur Byron Cover, Puffin Books, (2005)
                Being an avid Shakespeare fan, when I first saw this I have to
admit I thought - Shakespeare can't be a GN - how ever could they capture the
richness of the rhythms of his words!  And it's certainly not a substitute for the
literary merit of the original, but would definitely be helpful for those students
desperately drowning in the old English. The dialogue is still largely true to the
play, but the visual representation helps explain what's going on. The artwork
surprised me some, not being as period as I might have thought, but I think it
would appeal to students.

Tales from the Farm, Jeff Lemire, Top Shelf Productions, (2007)
                .An Alex Award Winner, this is a very poignant story of a boy gone
to live with his uncle after his mother's death. Their struggling relationship
provides the basis for the story, in which he is befriended by another man - a
former hockey star now hurt and working at the local gas station. The drawings are
deceptively simply and the story is touching. A caution though - there is a fair
amount of profanity - including many uses of the f-word - so think about your
community before purchasing.

Graphic Classics: Mark Twain (Eureka Productions)
                This is one GN with a collection of different short stories and
excerpts from Mark  Twain's writing (15, I think). Each story is adapted and
illustrated by a different person, so there is a wide range of artistic styles.
Some are better than others, but the variety could lead to interesting discussions
about why different illustrators chose different styles and how the stories lent
themselves to that artwork. They also vary in length - from a single two-page
spread to several pages of continuing story. With permission, you could use this in
an abbreviated literature circle or jigsaw format with different groups reading
different stories and then sharing with one another. *There are also other Graphic
Classics collections for other authors - Poe, H.G. Wells, etc.

Red Badge of Courage adapted by Wayne Vansant
                This was another GN from Puffin - and I liked it better than
Macbeth (which is interesting because I like the story of Macbeth more). I still
wouldn't rate this as the greatest GN I've read, but it stayed very true to the
story and the artwork seemed to fit better. I wish it was in color, though. All in
all, this would be a good GN to use in a Civil War unit.

Casellucci, Cecil and Rugg, Jim (2007) The Plain Janes. New York, NY: DC Comics
                After the bombing, Jane's parents were afraid to live in the city
any longer. They moved the family out to suburbia a long way away from the city.
They felt safer. Jane had to say good-bye to a John Doe that she happened to be
near when the explosion happened. His sketchbook was the only clue Jane had to his
identity. When she moved away, she took the sketchbook with her to reminder her of
the change she had made in her life. Now in a new school, she had some choices to
make. Was she going to continue to be the popular girl or did life hold a different
meaning. The secret club called the P.L.A.I. N. (People Loving Art In
Neighborhoods) took on a town that did not have the same appreciation for the arts
as Jane and her friends.

Emily's Good Nightmares.
                Very Goth and very high school yet I enjoyed many of the
interesting twists given to everyday expressions. Especially liked the Yellow
Submarine reference.