Thank you to all of you who responded to my request for suggestions for countries
of the world book for the high school level. It seems that there are others who
also have had problems finding appropriate books for this level. I have compiled
the responses below. I already have CultureGrams and World Book. I've decided to
look at the Marshall Cavendish World and its Peoples series. It is new and says it
is aimed at the high school level.Kathy Hall, Librarian
Science Hill High School, 10-12 LMC
Johnson City, TN 37604
kathyintn@hotmail.com
"Welcome to the World" series of country books by Child's Worldas they are
published. The text is good for elementary readability, thecovers are pictures of
children and that is very appealing to mystudents and they hold the interest of my
3 - 5 graders. I have 16 sofar.

Gareth Stevens publishes a "Countries of the World" Series which has received a
favorable review from Horn Book. Each volume is 96 pages with an interest level of
grades 5-8 but a reading level or 9.5. Other series with a more specific focus are
"Countries in the News" (Rourke) and "Countries in Crisis" (Smart Apple/Black
Rabbit)Hope this helps!

Take a look at Marshall Cavendish. I just updated my Afghanistan book. Itis 144 p.
with color photos, a timeline, recipes, maps, etc. I think thecopyright is 2005
I have been trying to solve this problem as well. Facts on File has aseries on
European countries that deals with history. Nothing on therest of the world.
Take a look at CultureGrams http://www.culturegrams.com/ and World Book's _People
and Places_ set. Both offer a pretty detailed view of the country in question.

Greenwood Press has a series of books under their Culture and Customsseries. We are
a 9-12 high school and have purchased a number of thesebooks in the Africa series.
In fact, our World History teacher hasrequested that we try to purchase the
remaining titles for his students.

Greenhaven Press has the Nations in Transition series that's on a higher level, but
may not have the coutries you are looking for. Chelsea house has Modern World
Nations which is also a little higher than the 5-8. Neither looks quite so middle
schooolish and have good, up-to-date info and pictures.

For what it is worth, I was going to update my country and state books and I
realized that for much less I could buy a new Worldbook Encyclopedia and have much
of the same information. I just find that many of the country books are not very
good and the Worldbook seems more accurate and timely.
See how Windows® connects the people, information, and fun that are part of your
life
http://clk.atdmt.com/MRT/go/119463819/direct/01/